BOSTON UNITED 0 AFC FYLDE 3: Pilgrims stunned after conceding three goals in four minutes

Scott Garner.
Scott Garner.

Boston United were left stunned after three goals in four second-half minutes saw them downed by AFC Fylde.

Until the 59th minute, it had been a contest of few chances.

But, if anything, it was the Pilgrims who looked the stronger of the two going forward, and the more comfortable in defence.

All that changed in the space of 240 seconds, with the Coasters making the long trip home with a further three points in the bag and United wondering what next for their up-and-down season.

The Pilgrims made four changes to the side which grabbed a dramatic 3-2 victory at Corby Town in midweek.

Jason Alexander replaced Henrich Ravas in goal, while Lartey Sarpong, Jay Dowie and Nicky Walker made the starting XI at the expense of Kyle Dixon, Jay Rollins and Mark Jones, the striker ruled out with a hamstring injury.

The first half was very much a case of both teams seeing what the opposition had to offer, while chances - few and far between - came to nothing.

For United, Aaron Greene forced Ben Hinchcliffe into a fingertip save following a dipping free kick on the right flank, while Sarpong’s low cross evaded all in the penalty area.

Fylde had plenty of possession around the Pilgrims’ penalty area, but failed to find a killer touch.

Dion Charles came the closest as he met a low cross which looked destined to land inside of the United post, but Alexander thwarted him with a one-handed reaction save, made all the more impressive as he was wrong-footed at the time.

Two Coasters efforts from free kicks failed to beat the wall as both Garner and Carl Piergianni blocked efforts with their faces.

But the deadlock was broken by Fylde’s Danny Lloyd in the 59th minute, drilling home a low effort from outside the Boston box after being afforded time to pick his spot.

And it was game over as the Coasters made it three goals in four minutes.

Richie Baker converted from the penalty spot in the 61st minute following Greene’s trip on Lloyd and Matt Hughes stunned the home crowd as he converted Charles’ low cross from close range.

As Boston looked to salvage something from their day, Piergianni saw a header tipped over by Hinchcliffe, only for a goal kick to be awarded.

Things could have gone from bad to worse for the hosts, but Danny Rowe’s strike landed just wide of the United goal and Sam Finley’s effort was deflected wide.

For Boston, Southwell met Jay Rollins’ cutback, but with the ball close to his feet his strike flew over the bar.

Moments later, Rollins’ curler was comfortably held.

In stoppage time Rollins unleashed a thunderous drive which Hinchcliffe superbly palmed away from the top corner.

UNITED: Alexander, Richards, Marrs, Mills, Garner, Piergianni, Sarpong, Dowie (Roberts 86), Southwell, Walker (Rollins 54), Greene (Dixon 67); Subs (not used): McGhee, Ravas.

FYLDE: Hinchcliffe, Wright, Whittle (Gibson 75), Baker, Hannigan, Barnes, Charles (Rowe 70), Finley, Blinkhorn (Wilson 70), Hughes, Lloyd; Subs (not used): Holmes, Urwin.

Ref: Ricky Wootton.

Att: 1,094 (20).