Boston United 0 Gainsborough Trinity 2: Old boys return to haunt the Pilgrims

Rarely troubled: Ashley Timms
Rarely troubled: Ashley Timms

The ghosts of Pilgrims past came back to haunt Boston United... and dump them out of the Lincs Senior Cup.

Old boys Mark Jones and Jon Williams netted first-half goals as United’s first competitive clash of the campaign ended in a 2-0 derby defeat to Gainsborough Trinity.

And it was nothing less than the visitors deserved, as they ruthlessly took their chances while Boston looked below-par for much of the afternoon.

The Pilgrims handed a debut to former Hull City full back Joe Lamplough, who replaced Netan Sansara, unable to play until his international clearance is confirmed.

Meanwhile, defender Conor Marshall sat out due to a dead leg.

Jones needed just five minutes to fire Trinity in front.

The former Pilgrims striker made no mistake from 12 yards out, unleashing a powerful low drive which beat keeper Ashley Timms and Stefan Galinski, who tried in vain to clear on the goalline.

Just 12 months ago Jones was a Boston player and, despite his county switch, a subdued celebration suggested that he still holds some affection for his former club.

A quick punch to the air and a few high-fives with his teammates was all he offered.

Jones was one of five ex-Pilgrims involved with Gainsborough - Tom Ward, Williams, Dom Roma and Michael Emery the others.

But Josh Wilde, a Boston target in the summer, missed the contest through suspension.

United took their time forcing their way into the contest. And their first two chances earned plenty to the never-say-die attitude of Ricky Miller.

A clever turn in the penalty area earned him space to shoot. But a tame effort failed to trouble Phil Barnes at his near post.

But minutes later the striker refused to give up what appeared to be a lost cause, dispossessing the Blues keeper outside the penalty area.

However, as he looked to find space to shoot, a fine recovery tackle from Ward cleared the danger.

A volley from Carl Piergianni which landed off target and another effort from Miller followed as United carved out the better chances, but Trinity continued to hold their own, and the lead.

And that lead was doubled in the 45th minute.

Williams was unforgivably handed too much time in the Pilgrims penalty area, but still did well to create the goal for himself. He turned a half-hearted challenge once, and then a second time, before his effort was placed beyond Timms’ outstretched arm.

It was bizarre that Timm s twice picked the ball out of his net, but really had little else to do all afternoon. But then again, Barnes at the other end was rarely tested either.

The second half began with Jones and Timms creating their own personal battle. The Trinity forward was a little naughty when he shoved the United keeper into the advertising boards as he shepherded the ball out of play.

And seconds later he sent the stopper crashing to the turf after a challenge. Timms had the ball in his hands when contact was made, but you could argue he was within his rights to go for goal.

United again came back into the match and Miller created two further chances for himself. One strike was blasted wide and a second superbly blocked by Barnes, with Marc Newsham firing the rebound over.

But sandwiched in between those two chances was a moment of controversy. Miller had forced himself goalside of Ward on the edge of the penalty area when the Blues defender brought him to the ground.

But referee Wayne Porter bizarrely allowed play to continue.

A low ball into the Trinity penalty area granted Newsham a strike on goal, but his low effort was hacked away on the goalline by Simon Russell.

At the other end, Jones saw a strike deflected off target before Timms, under pressure from a corner, scrambled over his bar.

UNITED: Timms, Bore, Lamplough, Galinski (Sanders 57), Garner, Piergianni, Ross, Mills (Fairclough 57), Miller, Newsham, Milnes (Weir-Daley 41); Subs (not used): Reed, Vince.

TRINITY: Barnes, Roma, Lacey, J. Williams, Ward (Davis 64), Young, Russell, Leary, Barraclough, Jones (Stamp 82), R. Williams; Subs (not used): Batty, Park, Emery.

Ref: Wayne Porter.

Att: 626.