BOSTON UNITED 0 NORTH FERRIBY UNITED 1: Own goal ends Pilgrims’ unbeaten start

Zak Mills.
Zak Mills.

Boston United’s 100 per cent start to the season was ended by North Ferriby - in the cruellest of fashions.

In a tight contest there was very little to separate these two teams.

But the difference proved to be Zak Mills’ 19th-minute own goal, which saw the Pilgrims defeated on homee soil for the first time since February.

Dennis Greene made three changes to the side which left Colwyn Bay with all three points seven days earlier.

Matt Gledhill - finally granted his international clearance - made his first competitive appearance for the Pilgrims, with Sam Vince dropping to the bench.

Midfielder Niall Doran was also handed his first start.

Jamie McGhee returned from injury to partner Dayle Southwell in attack as the Pilgrims switched to a 4-4-2 formation.

That meant there was no room in the starting line-up for David Fallah and Chris Dickinson, Fallah named amongst the substitutes and Dickinson missing out on the matchday squad.

Former Pilgrim Matt Wilson skippered Ferriby, while another ex-United player Jamie Yates returned from injury and took his place on the bench.

It was the away side who exerted the early pressure, but the Pilgrims’ defence stood firm.

After United had seen both Zak Mills and Southwell treated for inuries, it was Danny Meadows who had the first shot on goal of the game, although Adam Nicklin was equal to his drive on the turn.

The Villagers took the lead in the 19th minute when Mills turned the ball into his own net.

Giant striker Tom Denton easily outleaped Rene Steer to meet Nathan Peat’s cross, but Gledhill appeared to have the flight of the ball covered until the right back’s diving header changed the flight of the ball.

A direct run from Southwell saw him skip past Matt Wilson and Danny Hone, but his hopes of pulling Boston level ended in a fine block from Nicklin.

Not to be outdone, Gledhill made his first save of the day as he tipped Jonathan D’Laryea’s 20-yarder over his crossbar.

As the first half came to a close Scott Garner and Carl Piergianni both saw headers held by Nicklin.

Minutes after the re-start Denton had a golden opportunity to double his team’s lead, but his header struck the outside of Gledhill’s post.

Seconds later and Liam King was unmarked in the United penalty area, but his headed effort skipped wide of the mark.

the 59th-minute introduction of Fallah and Kaine Felix, for Conor Marshall and the injured McGhee, added some pace to the Pilgrims’ attack.

But despite some threatening moments, too many long balls into the penalty area were comfortably cleaned up by the visitors.

With four minutes to go, Fallah found himself with a sight of goal, but his tight-angled drive was denied by another superb Nicklin stop - this time off his body.

Deep into stoppage time United had their best chance of the day, buit Felix somehow forced his free header over the Ferriby bar.

And with that went the hosts’ hopes of levelling - and their unbeaten record.

UNITED: Gledhill, Mills, Steer, Marshall (Fallah 59), Garner, Piergianni, Doran (Garner 85), Hollingsworth, Southwell, McGhee (Felix 59), Meadows; Subs (not used): Reynolds, Vince.

FERRIBY: Nicklin, Hone, Peat, King, Wilson, Gray, Emerton, D’Laryea, Denton (Corner 89), Jarman (Wilde 90), Fry; Subs (not used): Bolder, Yates, Pecora.

Ref: Declan Ford.

Att: 1,207 (30).