Boston United 0 Vauxhall Motors 1:

Phil Watt.
Phil Watt.

It has gone from bad to worse for Boston United as the Pilgrims slumped to their third defeat in eight days.

This afternoon’s 1-0 defeat to Vauxhall Motors - who rarely even threatened the home side’s goal - extended United’s run without a win to seven matches, one match more than the spell which cost Jason Lee his job.

Yes, Boston created chances and dominated much of the match.

But what does that count for when the side just can’t turn it into victory?

United made two changes to the side which lost 4-2 at Harrogate Town in midweek.

Phill Watt - back from suspension - replaced Nathan Stainfield in the heart of defence, while Conor Marshall took the place of the unavailable Paul Mayo at left back.

The contest started better for Boston than it did for Motors defender Louis Barnes.

With just 14 minutes played, the left back was unable to continue after taking a boot from Watt in the privates.

But as he was replaced by Danny Fearnehough, the Pilgrims created a number of chances.

Marc Newsham used his body well to turn Andy Nicholas, but his weak strike failed to trouble Zac Jones.

And then Spencer Weir-Daley beat the offside trap, only to see his low cross across the face of goal hacked away by Tom Hannigan.

But as the Pilgrims failed to take their chances, Motors’ Ashley Stott was guilty of missing a sitter with his team’s first chance.

Ten yards from goal, he swiped at a free strike. But his timing was horribly wrong and the ball bounced off his shin and away to safety.

At the other end, Jones got down well to deny Ian Ross’ low drive before Stott made amends to put Motors ahead in the 39th minute.

United feebly attempted to clear Fearnehough’s free kick as Hannigan’s header across goal was converted by the unmarked Stott.

After the interval, United looked to get back on level terms.

Ian Ross’ powerful drive appeared to be tipped over by Jones, but referee Rob Hyde awarded a goal kick.

The second half had little in the way of excitement, but Newsham did see a header fly wide of the Motors upright, before Paul Lister’s effort was scrambled off the line by Hannigan.

In another rare attempt at the United goal, Karl Clair skipped into the penalty area but wasted his effort, smashing well high of goal.

But the final whistle drew boos from the home fans as this awful run shows no sign of stopping.

UNITED: Haystead, Walker (Ward 64), Marshall (Smith 71), Foster, Watt, Lister, Ross, Milnes (Fairclough 58), Weir-Daley, Newsham, Field; Subs: Stainfield, Lawlor.

MOTORS: Jones, Wainwright, Barnes (Fearnehough 14), Hannigan, Nicholas, Noone, Mahon, Clair, Rutter, Stott (Anoruo 72), Noon; Subs: Moss, Kocsis, Ellison.

Att: 800.

Ref: Rob Hyde.