Boston United 1 Hinckley 2! Lee blasts ‘sluggish’ Pilgrims after first league defeat

Matt Wilson and Ben Richard's Everton chase the ball.
Matt Wilson and Ben Richard's Everton chase the ball.
Share this article

JASON Lee labelled his Boston United side ‘sluggish’ following their defeat to Hinckley.

The Knitters earned a 2-1 win at York Street on Saturday, ripping up the early form book.

After two straight wins, Boston suffered their first defeat.

meanwhile, Hinckley earned win nimber one, after two heavy losses.

“I thought we were sluggish and looked leggy, but we can make no excuses,” Lee said.

“I thought they had a little bit more, they were obviously more determined than us.

“We were poor with our passing. We gave the ball away and didnt execute it in the final third.”

Kallum Smith spurned the first chance of the half as he scooped the loose ball off target after Hinckley keeper Rob Peet flapped at Mark Jones’ cross.

But almost immediately, Boston keeper Dan Haystead was forced to deny his old employers, turning Harvey Headley’s strike from distance around the post.

And any fears that the visitors, starting the day second-bottom, would park a bus at York Street were soon dispelled as full back Ben Richards-Everton rattled the Pilgrims’ post as Boston failed to clear a corner.

Marc Newsham had a chance to put Boston in front, but at full stretch he didn’t get the power on his volley to trouble Peet.

It was the Knitters who deservedly took the lead in the 32nd minute as the unmarked Aaron Wint headed beyond Dan Haystead.

Just before the interval, United thought they had levelled.

Peet flapped at a ball into the box, and after Newsham took the ball down on his chest and volleyed goalwards, he was denied by Paul Lister’s timely clearance.

The second half was slow to get started, but an inspired substitution on the hour pulled Boston level.

Spencer Weir-Daley, back from injury, replaced Ben Fairclough in attack, and swept the Pilgrims level with his first touch, netting from 12 yards out.

But that lead was short-lived as Knitters captain Danny Bragoli put the visitors back in front on 69 minutes.

He drove a low free kick beyond Haystead from 20 yards out after Nathan Stainfield had fouled Wint.

Kallum Smith looked to pull United level with a speculative drive from outside the penalty area, but he flashed his effort over the bar.

And at the death, Newsham looked too feed Jones through on goal, but Peet was off his line and first to the ball.

Smith then unleashed another long ranger, this one being blocked by Peet.

But as the final whistle blew, Hinckley deserved their victory.

UNITED: Haystead, Marshall (Silk 70), Jelleyman, Wilson, Miller, Stainfield, Fairclough (Weir-Daley 60), Ross (Milnes 56), Jones, Newsham, Smith; Subs (not used): Field, Stokes.

HINCKLEY: Pet, Towers, Richards-Everton, Bragoli, Raglan, Lister, Darkin (Bryan 76), Green (Holt 56), Headley (Cambell 62), Wint, Cole; Subs (not used): Lane, Dudley.

Att: 1,105
Ref: Jason Tyas.

Star man: Nathan Stainfield. Conceded the free kick that led to the winning goal, but apart from that error, he was United’s best player on the pitch.