BOSTON UNITED 1 NORTH FERRIBY UNITED 2: Last-gasp winner sinks Pilgrims

Danny Emerton’s 89th minute winner saw Boston United defeated 2-1 at the Jakemans Stadium by North Ferriby.

The numbers don’t make happy reading as the Pilgrims are now six matches without a win against North Ferriby, down to seventh in the standings and with just one win in their past seven contests.

The hosts looked on course for a point in a reasonably uninspiring contest until the Villagers substitute stabbed home from close range in the dying minutes, the first time Dennis Greene has ever suffered three consecutive defeats as Boston manager.

Dayle Southwell put the Pilgrims in front with a trademark finish in the 22nd minute, latching on to Conner Robinson’s lay-off to drill a low effort beyond Adam Nicklin from eight yards out, pulling himself level with Fylde’s Danny Rowe at the top of the National League North goalscoring charts with 18.

But Ferriby’s Danny Hone levelled things up just two minutes later. Adam Bolder’s lofted free kick landed deep in the Boston penalty area, where the big defender stretched out a leg and cleverly guided his volley away from Fabian Spiess’ dive.

And with a minute to go a corner caused confusion in the Boston box, Emerton handed the simplest of finishes after Tom Denton’s header had struck the post and landed kindly.

Dennis Greene made four changes to the side which lost at Chorley the previous weekend, with Robinson and Brown - both joining on loan from Lincoln City in midweek - going straight into the starting XI.

Southwell and Grant Roberts also started at the expense of Mark Jones and the unavailable Dylan McEvoy, while Stephane Ngamvoulou and John Sands both left the club on Tuesday.

United began the first half the stronger with Southwell’s tame volley and Robinson’s goalbound effort springing Nicklin into life.

But it was the Villagers who ended the half stronger, even if they found themselves continually frustrated by Spiess.

United’s number one comfortably collected Bolder’s 20-yard drive before reacting quickly to get down and flick Curtis Bateson’s goalbound near-post flick round his post with an outstretched left hand. From the resultant corner, Spiess held onto Ash Palmer’s powerful header.

As the half drew to a close both sets of players became embroiled in a mass shoving match following Ben Middleton’s foul which left Robinson in a crumpled heap; Hone, Middleton and Liam King seeing their names jotted down in the ref’s book, along with United’s Scott Garner.

After the break Spiess was again called into action, using his body to block Bateson’s narrow-angled drive and getting down to smother King’s effort.

In response, Boston’s Jay Rollins lashed an effort over the bar before getting some better accuracy with a second strike, only for Nicklin to collect.

As the game entered the final 20 minutes, Robinson came within a whisker of marking his return to the Pilgrims with a goal. After setting himself in the box his drive beat Nicklin but clipped the outside of the post.

But that was the striker’s last impact as he and Kaine Felix were replaced by Malachi Lavelle-Moore and Lewis Hilliard.

Emerton snatched victory at the death but United still had time for one last chance, Rollins’ flick being held by Nickin.

UNITED: Spiess, Burgess, Mills, Brown, Marrs, Felix (Lavelle-Moore 75), Garner, Roberts, Rollins, Southwell, Robinson (Hilliard 75); Subs (not used): M. Jones, Limb, Payne.

FERRIBY: Nicklin, Middleton (Topliss 66), Hone, Palmer, Wilde, Hotte, Bolder (Fry HT), Brooksby (Emerton 78), King, Bateson, Denton; Subs (not used): Gray, Kendall.

Ref: Simon Barrow.

Att: 1,279 (51).