BOSTON UNITED 1 STALYBRIDGE CELTIC 1: Pilgrims have to settle for a point

editorial image

Boston United kept up their unbeaten home record against Stalybridge Celtic... even if they did have to settle for a draw.

Dayle Southwell converted a penalty to hand the Pilgrims the lead at the Jakemans Stadium, but some slack defending allowed Liam Dickinson to earn the away side a share of the spoils.

That now means that from the eight meetings between the two sides in Lincolnshire, United have won five but drawn three.

After a Bank Holiday weekend which saw the Pilgrims harvest one point from a possible six, Dennis Greene was desperate for his team to return to winning ways.

The manager made two changes to the side which left Tamworth with a point on Monday.

Liam Marrs, who rejoined the club yesterday, was put straight into the starting line-up, named as a central midfielder as opposed to a right back, the position he made his own 13 times last season.

Goalkeeper Sam Vince also got the nod at the expense of Matt Gledhill.

The Irishman returned to the bench, while Chris Dickinson, who also started at the Lamb Ground, and Duran Reynolds both left the club yesterday.

Pacy Pilgrim Kaine Felix created the first opportunity of the afternoon as his quick feet took him clear of Kelvin Bleu and Matt Hughes, but as he looked set to shoot a slip saw the chance go begging.

The Pilgrims took the lead in the 27th minute when Dayle Southwell converted from a penalty.

Ricky Wootton pointed to the spot after Matt Hughes was adjudged to have handled Niall Doran’s strike.

And despite the attempts of former Boston keeper Lewis King to put Southwell off, the striker made amends for his miss at Tamworth by firing a low effort into the net.

Paul Ennis almost drew Celtic level from a moment of quick thinking, but his 35-yard lob didn’t have quite enough direction to land between the sticks.

However, Stalybridge evened things up three minutes before the interval.

After Michael Hollingsworth was adjudged to have handled outside the penalty area, Ennis’ delivery gave the unmarked Liam Dickinson a free header from a matter of yards out, and the big striker obliged by beating Vince.

King was forced into a action just minutes after the re-start when he pulled off a top stop to tip Southwell’s powerful strike, on the turn, over his bar.

As the away side pushed forward the dangerous Aidan Chippendale burst into the Boston box but Vince did well to get his body behind the strike.

With 13 mninutes left on the clock,. Southwell came close to putting United in front again, but as he met Zak Mills’ long throw-in, his header smashed against the visitors’ crossbar.

Celtic opted to play on the break and had their moments, while Boston caused som e problems in the Stalybridge area from long throws and set-pieces, but the away side held firm.

UNITED: Vince, Mills, Steer, Marrs, Garner, Piergianni, Doran (Fallah 63), Hollingsworth (Marshall 87), Southwell, Felix, Meadows; Subs (not used): Galinski, Barlow, Gledhill.

STALYBRIDGE: King, Bleau, Truelove, Hughes, Regan, Staunton-Turner (Wigley 87), Chippendale (Joyce 63), Mainwaring, McKenna, Ennis, Dickinson; Subs (not used): Cadman, Lomax, Martin.

Ref: Ricky Wootton.

Att: 1,001 (13).