Boston United 1 Worcester City 2: Late strike means the Pilgrims get the Blues... yet again

Marc Newsham netted for United.
Marc Newsham netted for United.

A late strike from Alex Meechan condemned Boston United to yet another defeat against bogey side Worcester City.

With five minutes left on the clock, a long goal kick from Glyn Thompson found its way to the Blues striker – who had only signed from Harrogate Town the previous day.

And he made an instant impact with his new club, curling home the winner.

The late strike means that United have now only won once in their previous seven matches against Worcester, the visitors claiming a staggering six victories from that sequence.

But the manner of the defeat was hard for the Pilgrims, especially as seconds before the winning goal, Kallum Smith came within inches of securing the points for United.

Despite the game beginning with a subdued feel, Worcester’s Mike Symons managed to carve out an early chance.

However, on the turn, he fired his low strike wide of Dan Haystead’s post from six yards out.

United retaliated immediately, with Ian Ross’ 20-yarder deflected off target.

Boston’s next chance fell to Tom Ward, but on the edge of the penalty area, the defender hacked his effort well over.

Not to be outdone, Meechan saw his strike fly inches off Haystead’s goal.

And on 25 minutes Matt Breeze handed the visitors the lead.

His speculative 25-yard strike looked to be heading comfortably towards Haystead before catching the swirling wind and squirming through his hands and into the net.

Seconds later and it could have been 2-0 as the burly frame of Symons held off Nathan Stainfield before firing off target.

Worcester were very much on top at this stage of the game, but Ross’ clever long balls were causing the visitors some worrying moments.

One such pass allowed Spencer Weir-Daley to steal a yard on Jacob Rowe, only for Thompson to save at his feet.

But the keeper could do nothing to deny Marc Newsham’s 38th-minute equaliser.

Pressure from Newsham and Mark Jones meant the City keeper couldn’t grasp hold of Ross’ corner.

And after Jones’ effort was blocked on the goal line by Stuart Whitehead, Newsham blasted his 11th goal of the season into the roof of the net from close range.

However, Thompson made amends, preventing Weir-Daley putting United ahead with a firm low stop.

After the re-start, Greg Mills’ curling free kick beat all in the Boston box but also flew wide of the post.

Again, chances were at a premium in the opening exchanges.

However, a rare sight of goal saw Weir-Daley scoop a half volley off target.

Mills then tried his luck from distance a couple of times.

His first effort was comfortably blocked by Haystead, his second fizzed wide.

With just five minutes remaining, sub Kallum Smith thought he had stolen victory for United, latching onto Newsham’s through ball but firing his effort wide of goal.

And from the resulting goal kick, Worcester won it.

Meechan, who only signed from Harrogate Town the previous day, bent an effort round the dive of Haystead.

UNITED: Haystead, Marshall, Jelleyman, Milnes, Ward, Stainfield, Fairclough, Ross, Jones (Smith 60), Newsham, Weir-Daley; Subs (not used): Reed, Sanders, Craven, Drury.

WORCESTER: Thompson, Weir, Deeney, Thorley, Whitehead, Rowe, Breeze, Edwards, Symons, Meechan, Mills; Subs (not used): Birley, Taylor, Khan, Polan, Sargeant.

Att: 877.
Ref: Martin Coy.