Boston United 2 Hull City 2: Pilgrims hand trial to nephew of ex-Watford and Crystal Palace striker Bruce Dyer as Joe French and Ian Ross are on target

Joe French.
Joe French.

JASON Lee is keeping tabs on young trialist Korey Dyer-Stewart – the nephew of former Premier League striker Bruce Dyer.

The 18-year-old turned out for the Boston United in last night’s 2-2 draw with Hull City’s development side.

An impressive late cameo saw the quick-footed former Burton Albion player create good shooting opportunities for himself.

But after twice running rings around the Tigers’ defence, he failed to get the better of impressive City keeper Mark Oxley.

“I know his uncle Bruce Dyer, who’s here tonight (Wednesday),” Lee said after the stalemate.

“He’s a former player and friend. He’s asked me to have a look at the boy and maybe take him under my wing.

“He’s only 18 and he’s got some ability and attributes.”

Uncle Bruce became England’s first £1 million teenager when he moved from Watford to Crystal Palace, before a successful career with the likes of Sheffield United, Barnsley and Stoke City.

Dyer-Stewart’s life in the game hasn’t begun at the same rate, but Lee believes his talent can shine.

He added: “We’ll work him, train him and see how he progresses.

“If he’s up to it, that’s a massive bonus for us.

“If not, at least he’s in the shop window and can showcase his skills.

“Maybe he’s someone we can bring in. He looks bright.”

Joe French gave Boston the lead against the Tigers in fine style.

In his first match at the Jakemans Stadium since joining the Pilgrims, he announced himself in style.

With just five minutes on the clock, he fired a 25-yard screamer beyond Oxley and in off the keeper’s far post, before lifting his shirt above his head in confident celebration.

But a minute later and Hull’s youngsters were level.

Johnny Margetts, who missed two free headers early on, tapped in simply from close range as United’s young defence were caught napping.

Margetts should have put his side ahead midway through the half, but another effort from close range was finely blocked by Dan Haystead.

However, Margetts again tapped in after the break to give Hull the lead.

Boston – after a number of substitutions – finally found their feet.

Mark Jones saw a chance go begging when Oxley pulled off a fine close-range block to deny his dink.

Marc Newsham also saw an effort blocked on the line by Sonny Bradley.

But in time added on, Boston’s breakthrough emerged.

A free kick was awarded on the edge of the Tigers’ box.

And with Oxley still arranging his wall, Ross curled home into the unguarded net.

Hull raged. Boston celebrated.

“It was a good exercise,” Lee added.

“Although they were a young side we expected them to get it down and play nice football and we’d have to work. That was the case.

“We were disappointed with the goals we conceded as we could have done better.”

UNITED: Dan Haystead, Lewis Sturman (Conor Marshall 74), Kern Miller (Tom Ward 62), Travis Munn, Jason Field (Nathan Stainfield 80), Joe French (Marc Newsham 46), James Reed, Ben Milnes, Jason Stokes (Ian Ross 46), Spencer Weir-Daley (Korey Dyer-Street 62), Jordan Nuttell (Mark Jones 46) Sub (not used): Ricky Drury.

HULL: Mark Oxley, Danny East, Sonny Bradley, Will Aimson (Keegan Dillon 46), Conor Townsend, Douglas Wilson, Marc Cullen (Jack Barlow 62), Bryan Hughes (Francis McCaffrey 46),62Paul McElroy, Johnny Margetts, Jamie Devitt.