Boston United 2 Leamington 0: Pilgrims hit the Brakes

Marc Newsham.
Marc Newsham.

Ricky Miller and Marc Newsham scored the goals which saw Boston United earn a 2-0 victory over newly-promoted Leamington.

The two second-half strikes were enough for all three points, and keep the Pilgrims’ unbeaten record in the Skrill North rolling on.

Meanwhile, Ashley Timms also had something to cheer after keeping his first clean sheet for United.

Spencer Weir-Daley saw a speculative strike from distance saved by Brakes keeper Tony Breeden in the early exchanges.

Leamington centre back Liam Daly went close at the other end with an acrobatic 20-yard volley which flew over Timms’ crossbar.

As both opponents sized each other up in the first half, chances were few and far between.

However, United created two good chances, with Conor Marshall hitting an effort over and Weir-Daley forcing a good near-post stop from Breeden.

The Leamington keeper then pulled off a top save to force Miller’s 20-yard strike away from danger.

In the final minutes of the opening 45, Marc Newsham was presented with two sights at goal.

His first effort was ballooned over following Ricky Miller’s cutback.

Chance number two saw him control Ian Ross’ ball on his chest before forcing another top block from Breeden, before Weir-Daley’s follow up was deflected over.

In between those two efforts former Aston Villa striker Stefan Moore - who played under Boston manager Dennis Greene at St Neots - wasted a free header, looping well over.

The Pilgrims were fired up after the interval and Miller smashed the hosts into a 53rd-minute lead.

After Ben Milnes forced the ball through, the striker spun past Liam Daly before rifling a piledriver beyond the helpless Breeden from an acute angle.

Miller should have added to his tally soon after but couldn’t hit the target with a free header or a strike from distance... and that could have been costly when Moore created a shooting chance for himself.

However, after turning past Scott Garner he blasted well over.

And then the woodwork was rattled twice in as many minutes.

Jamie Towers got a sight of the Boston goal and slotted his effort beyond Timms, only to see it smash against the post.

Seconds later Newsham suffered more misfortune. After squeezing his way between Stephan Morley and Paul McCone he cut inside and bent his effort round Breeden.

But his effort hit the inside of the post and rolled across the goalline.

Newsham did get on the scoresheet with 12 minutes remaining. That striker’s instinct saw him in ghost in at the the near post to screw Peter Bore’s cross beyond Breeden on the half volley.

Late on Timms earned his clean sheet with a firm-handed save against Lee Chilton.

UNITED: Timms, Bore, Sansara, Marshall, Garner, Piergianni, Ross, Milnes, Miller, Newsham, Weir-Daley; Subs (not used): Fairclough, Galinski, Sanders, Reed, Vince.

LEAMINGTON: Breeden, Mace, Morley, Magunda, Daly, McCone, Dodd (Owen 57), Sandy (L. Moore 73), S. Moore, Johnson (Towers 58), Chilton; Subs (not used): Green, Taylor.

Ref: John Brooks.

Att: 1,086.