Boston United 2 Solihull Moors 2: Lee backs striker Newsham, despite missed opportunities

Marc Newsham.
Marc Newsham.

Boston United boss Jason Lee says he backs striker Marc Newsham ‘100 per cent’ following last night’s draw with Solihull Moors.

The visitors grabbed a 90th-minute equaliser to earn a point at York Street.

But the Pilgrims were left ruing missed chances – many of them falling to Newsham, who incidentally bagged his 15th goal of the campaign in the game.

“He’s the main man, he scores goal,” said Lee, giving his thumbs up to the club’s leading scorer.

“Sometimes you miss opportunities.

“The lad’s obviously disappointed, we all are, to lose two points.

“But we played well and we bossed the game.”

Lee reflected on the side’s 2-1 defeat at Bradford Park Avenue earlier this season, where Newsham had a penalty saved with the last kick of the game.

After that, the striker responded with goals in his next two games, victories against Tadcaster Albion and FC Halifax Town.

And now Lee expects that again, adding: “He won’t lack confidence.

“He’s got my 100 per cent support, he’s got his teammates’ support.

“He’s still our go-to man and he’ll score plenty more.

“He missed one but you’ve got to remember he scored tonight.

“He’ll be fine, he’ll move on.”

Tom Ward gave the Pilgrims a dream start, heading home after just 65 seconds.

He connected with Ian Ross’ corner, powering a header that Jas Singh could only palm into his own net.

But a crazy start saw Moors draw level on four minutes.

Dior Angus – the son of former Nuneaton defender Terry – gave Dan Haystead no chance with a perfectly-struck free kick from 25 yards out.

Jason Lee gave starts to James Reed and Ben Fairclough, the latter back from suspension, as Jason Stokes and Kallum Smith made way.

The boss said his thinking was because the team had three games in the space of eight days, and he wanted to freshen things up.

That seemed the case early on.

The match was an open one early on, and Fairclough, granted space down the right, brought out another great stop from Singh, by no means his first on this ground.

But in the 25th minute, Boston regained the lead.

Newsham netted his 15th goal of the campaign.

Latching on to Ross’ through ball, he beat Singh with a low strike on the turn.

Junior English almost pulled Moors level on the stroke of half time, but after Nathan Stainfield blocked his goalbound header, Haystead saved his follow-up.

Then began Newsham’s frustrating evening.

Firstly, his header beat Singh, but Stuart Pierpoint was on the goalline to nod clear.

Then, after the break, it was more of the same.

After sprinting beyond Pierpoint, he blasted off target when one-on-one with Singh.

And there was more woe.

Controlling on the edge of the penalty area, and with Singh off his line, his attempted chip but couldn’t find the target.

This was followed by Singh palming his 20-yarder round the post and an effort from close range prodded wide following a mazy run and great through-ball from sub Smith.

But at the death, United were punished as sub Jermaine Clarke fired home a low drive from close range.

United, not for the first time, let a lead slip.

And once again, it was very much their own doing.

However, after three straight 1-0 defeats to the Moors, Boston did better than in recent meetings - the stalemate also being their first draw of the Blue SQuare Bet North season.

UNITED: Haystead, Marshall, Jelleyman, Milnes, Ward, Stainfield, Reed (Stokes 67), Ross, Jones (Sanders 81), Newsham, Fairclough (Smith 67); Subs (not used): Craven, Drury.

MOORS: Singh, Rosser (Clarke 58), Langdon, Denny, Pierpoint, Spencer, Knights (Blackwood 58), Fleet, English, Angus (Bennett 90), Bogle; Subs (not used): Francis, Acton.

Att: 681.

Ref: Matthew Walsh.