Boston United 5 Droylsden 1: Pilgrims end their winless streak by defeating Bloods

Mark Jones celebrates his goal.
Mark Jones celebrates his goal.

Boston United ended their winless run in style... putting Droyldsen to the sword with a 5-1 thumping.

A brace from Marc Newsham, plus finishes from Mark Jones, Spencer Weir-Daley and James Reed ended the Pilgrims’ seven-match streak without a victory.

Boston. Saturday 15 December 2012.'Sport. Football.'Boston Utd v Droylsden Action Pics

Boston. Saturday 15 December 2012.'Sport. Football.'Boston Utd v Droylsden Action Pics

Droylsden - in the relegation zone and without a victory on their travels in the Blue Square Bet North - looked an easy side to overcome for the out-of-form Pilgrims.

But in the opening exchanges they didn’t have it all their way.

United had keeper Dan Haystead to thank as early as the third minute as he pulled off a penalty save to deny Carlos Logan.

After Nathan Stainfield was adjudged to have tugged back the attacker, referee John Brooks didn’t hesitate to point to the spot.

But the Boston number one - back in the starting XI following his foot injury - guessed right to palm away the tame strike.

Caretaker boss Graham Hyde chopped and changed his team and their positions before kick off.

In came Gary Silk, Haystead and Mark Jones for Jack Andrews, Ricky Drury and Ian Ross.

Jones relished an unusual role on the left wing, while Silk played at the heart of the defence alongside Stainfield.

Jason Stokes was moved into central midfield, and almost put United ahead, only for his drive to fly inches over Dale Latham’s crossbar.

At the other end, Rob Sissons saw his powerful strike fly off target.

The visitors took the lead in the 23rd minute.

After Ben Fairclough conceded possession in his own half, Steve Hall sidestepped Stainfield before beating Haystead with a low effort from the edge of the penalty area.

But Boston’s response was swift, Spencer Weir-Daley tucking home his 49th goal for the club.

The striker will have had tougher finishes as he passed the ball into the empty net from close range.

But credit must go to Newsham, who steered Jones’ effort into the goalscorer’s path before Latham could smother.

That goal came on 31 minutes, and five minutes later United were in front.

Jones had seen an effort deflected over by Sissons.

But from Jason Stokes’ resultant corner, Jones powerfuly headed home at the back post.

And then it was three as Boston mercilessly made the most of the Bloods’ collapse.

Newsham beautifully tucked away his 18th of the campaign with the outside of his boot.

He beat Latham at his near post, but there’s no way the visiting keeper should have given the striker so much space to shoot into.

Boston’s day got better in the 62nd minute as Newsham netted his second of the day, his 19th of the season.

Fairclough and Weir-Daley linked well before Newsham was put through, taking one touch before forcing the ball below Latham’s diving body.

And then it was five.

Sub James Reed grabbed just his second goal in senior football, with a little help from the visitors.

Reed’s 20-yard strike defelected off Nat Kerr and looped over the helpless Latham.

It made a nice chanbge to hear the Pilgrims applauded off the pitch at York Street.

It may not be a victory which lands Graham Hyde the manager’s role full time, but it won’t do his chances any harm.

UNITED: Haystead, Marshall, Jelleyman, Silk, Stainfield, Fairclough, Stokes (Reed 68), Weir-Daley, Newsham, Jones (Smith 81); Subs (not used): Ward, Sanders, Drury.

DROYLSDEN: Latham, Killeen, Holden, Palmer, Kerr (Smith 83), Sissons, Rick (Langford 64), Hall, Ellison, Bryan (Jacombs 70), Logan; Subs (not used): Evans, O’Neill.

Att: 759.

Ref: John Brooks.