Boston United 5 Vauxhall Motors 2: Five-star Pilgrims pick up three points... at last

Marc Newsham.
Marc Newsham.
Share this article

Boston United ended their five-game winless run with a five-star thumping of Vauxhall Motors.

Marc Newsham scored a brace while Scott Garner, Ricky Miller and Ian Ross also found the net for the Pilgrims.

In a week where Netan Sansara, Gary Mills and Jake Hall have all left the club, the Pilgrims’ resources were stretched to the limit.

With the exception of Ben Fairclough, subsitutes Ngoni Dongo, Charley Sanders, Scott Dawson and Sam Vince were all products of the youth academy, with four first-team starts between them.

However, striker Miller returned to the starting XI following an ankle injury.

A frantic start to the match saw United’s Newsham fire a shot wide with the goal at his mercy, after Garner had charged down Zac Jones’ clearance.

Newsham was presented with a shirt to commemorate his 100 goals for the club prior to kick off.

And his tally was up to 101 in the 12th minute when he slotted home from six yards out.

After Miller and Rene Steer had combined well down the left flank, Ross put in a cross which Garner nodded down at the back post.

As the ball crept through the crowded penalty area Newsham was there to pounce.

Motors threatened early on through Danny Fearnehough.

But his acrobatic effort flew wide and Stefan Galinski was on hand to head away his other attempt on goal.

Motors keeper Jones then pulled off fine saves to deny Milnes and Newsham from close range before Boston doubled their advantage in the 45th minute.

After Ross’ corner caused problems in the penalty area, Garner - playing as a makeshift target man - was on hand to head home from close range.

It was 3-0 and 102 and counting for Newsham in the 52nd minute when he latched onto Indy Aujla’s header to slot under Jones, in a goal where the visitors’ defence plainly stood still.

But the Motormen reduced the deficit three minutes later when Louis Barnes’ free kick crept under the Boston wall and into the net from 20 yards out.

The goal gave Motors some spring in their step, but Lewis King did well to block Shaun Tuck’s effort.

But with 64 minutes on the clock it was game on as Fearnehough netted with a back-post header.

Back came United, but Miller saw two drives well saved by Jones and Piergianni’s header rattled the crossbar.

Miller finally got his name on the scoresheet with the goal of the game in the 74th minute, confidently chipping his effort over the stranded Jones.

And three minutes later it was 5-2 when Ross cleverly rolled home a penalty after Miller was tugged back by Andy Nicholas.

At the death King again did well to stop Tuck’s powerful drive - and the Pilgrims had finally picked up another three points.

UNITED: King, Marshall, Steer, Aujla, Garner, Piergianni, Ross (Sanders 84), Milnes, Miller, Newsham (Fairclough 78), Galinski; Subs (not used): Dongo, Dawson, Vince.

MOTORS: Jones, Wainwright, Barnes, Hannigan, Nicholas, Clair, Fearnehough (Hughes 84), Williams, Tuck, Ellams, Noone (Rutter 60); Subs (not used): Hughes, Davies, Martindale, Mendes.

Ref: Chris Pollard.

Att: 931.