Brackley Town 3 Boston United 2: Saints edge it in a tale of three keepers

Ian Ross.
Ian Ross.

Brackley edged out Boston United 3-2 in a crazy contest which was a tale of three keepers.

Two errors from United’s Ashley Timms saw him replaced by Sam Vince at the interval, as the Pilgrims trailed 3-0.

And late on, Saints stopper Billy Turley received a red card.

Brackley needed little more than two minutes to take the lead, a goal which was gifted to them.

Steve Towers punted the ball hopefully from the centre of the pitch, and as Pilgrims keeper Timms rushed from his goal the blustery wind and bounce took it over his head and into the net.

As Boston looked to regain parity Ricky Miller saw a 20-yard striker fly over the Saints’ crossbar.

But Brackley doubled their advantage in the 26th minute, Izak Reid’s 20-yard free kick curling into the net after Scott Garner had pulled back debutant Ben Mills on the edge of the penalty area.

Ian Ross saw Town keeper Billy Turley turn his shot from distance round the post before the hosts stretched their lead to 3-0 five minutes before the break.

Again, it was a moment for Timms to forget as his scuffed clearance fell at the feet of Brett Solkhon.

His direct running and square ball teed up Mills, who had the simple task of placing the ball into the net.

By half time, manager Dennis Greene had seen enough - replacing Timms with Vince.

And six minutes after the break, Boston, now playing with the wind advantage, reduced the arrears.

Ross’ free kick was met at the back post and a combination of United’s Scott Garner and Brackley defender Ryan Austin forced the ball home.

It was game on in the 69th minute when Ross’ clipped pass released Marc Newsham.

The striker turned in the penalty area before clipping home his 97th goal for the club.

Vince showed his worth when he got down well to tip Glenn Walker’s low strike round his near post before Boston almost snatched a leveller.

Rene Steer’s low strike was deflected by Kevin Roberts, but an instinctive save from Turley tipped the ball over.

But that was the keeper’s last save as he received his marching orders with five minutes left for an off the ball incident, striker Elliott Sandy replacing him in goal.

As Boston pushed forward, Carl Piergianni saw a strike deflected wide by Newsham.

United are the only team to score two past Brackley at St James’ Park this season.

But despite their late flurry that’s all they could manage as referee Alan Young signalled the end of a mad, mad, mad match.

BRACKLEY: Turley, Reid, Austin, Sharpe, Roberts, Story (Newton 68), Solkhon, Towers, Walker, Mills (Griffin 87), Sandy; Subs (not used): Nisevic, Odhiambo, Diggin.

UNITED: Timms (Vince HT), Marrs, Garner, Piergianni, Steer, Ross, Marshall, Hall, Weir-Daley, Miller (Miller 66), Newsham; Subs (not used): Galinski, Milnes, Aujla.

Ref: Alan Young.

Att: 365.