Guiseley 1 Boston United 0: Forrest strike ends unbeaten run

Lewis King.
Lewis King.

All good things must come to an end.

Boston United’s five-match unbeaten run came to an abrupt halt at Nethermoor Park as Guiseley held on to earn a narrow 1-0 victory.

Today’s contests was one which pitted the Skrill North’s two in-form sides against one another.

Going into the contest Boston were unbeaten in five matches, while their hosts hadn’t suffered defeat in their past eight fixtures.

But - after this all-action contest, all real game of two halves - it was the team in white whose record was still in tact.

Guiseley had, quite literally, the Lions’ share of the chances in the first half as they made the most of the moist turf - attacking in slick passing, quick-footed waves.

However, Gavin Rothery failed to hit the target with his three early strikes at goal.

Meanwhile, United keeper Lewis King - back from his FA Trophy break - pulled off a terriffic reaction save, using his leg to block when Alex Johnson looked odds on to convert from close range.

King - who had previously held on to Danny Forrest’s goalbound header - was again the hero in the 43rd minute when he guessed right and forced Rothery’s penalty off target, after Ian Ross had tugged Andy Holdsworth down as he burst into the box.

But he could do nothing about Forrest’s 20-yarder which handed the hosts a 45th-minute lead, and won the contest.

Collecting the ball just outside the Pilgrims’ penalty area, Forrest unleashed a powerful strike which found he net via the inside of the post.

As the half-time whistle blew United’ best chances were Conor Marshall’s cross, which fizzed across the face of goal, and a Carl Piergianni header which Steve Drench comfortably collected.

After the interval, and with the fiece wind and rain at their backs, it was the away side who began to create the better opportunities.

Ricky Miller and Spencer Weir-Daley both could have done better with efforts which failed to hit the target, while the same could be said for Marc Newsham’s unmarked diving header.

Garner - who needed dental work after being smashed by Crag Hobson’s elbow as the two sides met earlier this season - exacted some revenge as he picked up a yellow for clattering into his opponent.

And from the resultant free kick Wayne Brooksby was wasteful, striking well over.

Late Boston pressure saw Garner’s effort deflected wide and Stefan Galinski’s low drive was well held by Drench.

Guiseley could have doubled their advantage as Hobson raced clear, but as he looked to round King, the in-form keeper hooked out a hand to deny him.

GUISELEY: Drench, Holdsworth, Meynell, Rea (Lawlor 90), Lockwood, Hall, Brooksby, Boshell, Johnson (Hobson 69), Forrest, Rothery; Subs (not used): Potts, Parker, Dickinson.

UNITED: King, Marrs, Steer, Marshall (Galinksi 82), Garner, Piergianni, Ross, Hall (Milnes 63), Miller (Sanders 73) Newsham, Weir-Daley; Subs (not used): Aujla, Sansara.

Ref: Ian Dudley.

Att: 474.