“Happy days!” Boston United defender Liam Marrs wants to add to his his first senior goal

Liam Marrs.
Liam Marrs.

Liam Marrs believes that he’ll be seeing his name on the scoresheet even more after netting his first-ever senior goal.

The Boston United defender marked his 40th appearance for the club by sliding home at the back post to earn a point during Saturday’s Vanarama North draw with Stockport County.

“I’d swap my goal for three points, but to get a goal is a bonus and hopefully there’ll be some more to come,” said the former Sunderland trainee.

“I need to try to get forward more often and gamble.

“I’ve always wanted to get forward, but it’s finding the right chances to get into the box.

“For me, defending always comes first.”

Although Marrs admitted he was ‘really happy’ to get off the mark, he believes United deserved much more from the match.

“It’s two points dropped,” he added.

“We dominated most of the game, they only had one chance and they scored.

“We had numerous chances, their keeper had an unbelievable game and kept them in it.”

Indeed, were in not for Danny Hurst in the Hatters’ goal the Pilgrims could well have claimed victory.

However, the County keeper was in magnificent form, getting down well to smother Carl Piergianni’s header and doing enough to grab Marc Newsham’s near-post finish at the second opportunity, after the initial shot had squirmed through his legs.

And when Scott Garner thought he had snatched victory in the final minute, the feintest of fingertips from Hurst tipped his drive onto the underside of the crossbar, before the ball bounced back into play.

Jack Ryan handed Stockport a 27th-minute lead with a powerful 20-yard volley which gave Joel Dixon no chance.

But while Hurst was claiming the plaudits, the Boston stopper also had his moment.

Confidently claiming Chris Churchman’s corner, he began the breakaway move which saw United draw level in the 41st minute.

His throw picked out Southwell who set home debutant Massiah McDonald free.

After skipping into the box he sent a low ball across the face of goal, which Marrs forced home at the back post.

“I was really happy,” Marrs added.

“I just thought I’m going to keep on running and running and I managed to get on the end of it and tap it in with my left foot.

“Happy days.”