Indy Aujla makes his long awaited Boston United debut... but will Pilgrims learn to park the bus?

Indy Aujla.
Indy Aujla.

Indy Aujla marked his long-awaited Boston United debut by helping the Pilgrims to a routine 4-0 victory at Stafford Rangers... before being left stranded by the team bus.

Ricky Miller and Spencer Weir-Daley grabbed two goals apiece in this FA Cup second qualifying round match, as the York Street club set off on the road to Wembley in comfortable fashion.

Indy Aujla.

Indy Aujla.

But it was on the road home that the Pilgrims squad realised they had left the ground without their latest addition.

However, one quick U-turn later and Aujla was back among the squad - where he hopes to remain for the rest of the campaign.

“I played there (with United) a couple of times in pre-season and I always had my eye on signing for Boston, but then a League One club wanted me to go in,” said Aujla, who had been training with Brentford.

“So, like anyone, would do, you have to go. I’ve got ambition and want to play as high as I can.

“But I’m happy at Boston and looking forward to a few more games.”

After 74 consecutive starts, leading scorer Marc Newsham was sidelined with an ankle problem, while Scott Garner was also ruled out due to a gash on his head.

Aujla, who was named on the bench, was given his chance at the interval, replacing the crocked Conor Marshall in the heart of midfield. But an injury to Peter Bore minutes later saw the debutant asked to do a job at right back.

“I think I impose my proper game in centre midfield, both attacking and defensively. I like to be in the middle of all the action,” admitted Aujla.

“But if the gaffer wants me to play right back, wing back or even left back, I’m happy to do my bit for the team.”

Despite their walking wounded, United were rarely troubled at Marston Road.

Miller opened the scoring on 18 minutes with a neat finish from Ben Milnes’ through ball.

And when the forward was fouled by Michael Carr, Weir-Daley drilled home number two 11 minutes later from the penalty spot.

A 66th-minute blockbuster by Weir-Daley put the result beyond doubt, before Miller had the final say with a close-range finish with 10 minutes left.

Rangers’ Dan Quinn wasted his side’s best chance with a wayward strike.

But in fairness, Boston should have scored more, Netan Sansara hitting the woodwork, while he, Miller and Ben Fairclough were all denied by Jon Brain.

And at the death, Lucan Spittle was in the right place to hack Miller’s strike off the line.