“It couldn’t have been any better!” Vince celebrates a week to remember with Boston United

Harry Vince.
Harry Vince.

Harry Vince capped off a week to remember by netting his first Boston United goal.

On Thursday the Pilgrims midfielder celebrated his 18th birthday by signing a contract to keep him at the club until the enof next season.

And two days later he opened the scoring in a 2-0 victory over the Ammies - Boston’s first home win on a Saturday in 11 months and 13 attempts - before collecting the man of the match champagne.

“It was my birthday, and getting my first goal and my contract was brilliant,” the youngster said.

“It couldn’t have been any better, to be honest.

“We want to keep going now, get more goals and wins.

“I’m finally 18, I’ll celebrated now. We’ll see what happens.”

It was April 23 last year when the Pilgrims last celebrated a weekend home win, a 2-1 victory over Nuneaton Town.

Vince set the ball rolling while Nat Brown, a player almost twice the age of his teammate, made sure of the win with his second of the season against the 10-man visitors.

With Darlington 1883 snatching a last draw at Gainsborough Trinity, the win moved Boston 11 points clear of the drop zone.

This contest didn’t quite match the six goals served up when the Pilgrims and Ammies drew 3-3 in the north west, but there was action aplenty, with the hosts forced to earn their victory against a team who squandered late chances to make things interesting.

Adam Murray made three changes to the side which lost 1-0 at Alfreton in midweek, new recruit Jack Broadhead, Kalern Thomas and Mani Dieseruvwe starting with Josh Robinson missing out through illness and Lewis Hilliard and Colby Bishop dropping out.

There were no punches pulled in the opening stages, Ross Durrant called upon to make vital saves to deny former Pilgrim David Norris and Mike Phenix as the promotion-chasers looked for an early breakthrough.

But United also looked dangerous, with City somehow surviving a scramble which saw Jay Rollins, Dieseruvwe and Brown all swing a kick towards goal.

The hosts broke the deadlock in the 12th minute as Rollins burst free and threaded through a teasing pass which saw Vince coolly tuck his effort beyond Jay Lynch.

Salford went close to equalising when Josh Hine’s lobbed effort drifted just over Durrant’s crossbar with the keeper not 100 per cent sure of his position.

Louis Briscoe should have doubled the hosts’ advantage after doing the hard part, cutting inside and skipping beyond Billy Priestley, but his strike was too high.

A minute before the interval, Salford’s hopes of victory took another setback as Brad Barnes was sent off for his second booking in as many minutes.

After picking up a first yellow card for a tussle with Vince, his second arrived for an outstretched arm which sent the same player to the floor.

The second half began with the Ammies on the front foot, Jan Yeomans making a vital block to deny Phenix and Michael Nottingham heading over from the resultant corner.

Vince tried his luck again, this time from the edge of the penalty area, but his effort was lashed high into the Town End.

In response, Nick Haughton saw his free kick dip over the United wall but drift wide of the target.

Boston finally got that cushion of a second goal in the 73rd minute as Brown met yet another inviting corner from Adam Chapman, powering his header into the back of the net before throwing himself into the home support with a defiant punch into the air.

Salford threw caution to the wind and created a flurry of late chances as they looked for a way back.

Harry Panayiotou broke through but poked wide before Nottingham and Phenix both failed to hit the target from close range.

Durrant then pulled off a fine stop to deny Phenix at his near post, before blocking Priestley’s effort from a corner.

UNITED: Durrant, Thomas, Batchelor, Brown, Yeomans, Vince, Chapman, Broadhead, Rollins, Dieseruvwe, Briscoe (Bishop 80); Subs (not used): Simmons, Clarke, Gordon, Gatter.

SALFORD: Lynch, Nottingham, Brough, Burton, Grand, Priestley, Hine (Panayiotou 64), Barnes, Phenix, Norris (King 64), Allen (Haughton 56); Subs (not used): Howson, Walker.

Ref: Ricky Wootton. Att: 1,242 (67).