LAST TIME: United stall the Motormen with late leveller

Photo: David Shipman
Photo: David Shipman

It was a match that Boston United could quite easily have won. But given the fact Vauxhall Motors were leading with only a minute of normal time remaining, the Pilgrims were more than content with a share of the points.

Marc Newsham’s 89th minute leveller rescued a point for United on Saturday, who had dominated for long spells at Rivacre Park yet looked likely to lose after a mad four-minute spell early in the first half.

The Pilgrims had opened well with bright and purposeful football, but fell behind after only eight minutes with Chris Noone applying the finishing touch at the back post following Danny Fearnehough’s cross from the left.

If conceding once when the danger looked minimal was careless, it was galling to do so again four minutes later. Carl Piergianni, so often United’s defensive rock alongside Scott Garner, gifted possession to Matthew Williams to cross and Noone blasted home a rising drive which left Ashley Timms stranded.

The Pilgrims gradually re-asserted themselves on proceedings and duly cut the deficit a minute before the break. Netan Sansara delivered a terrific ball from the left and once Ben Milnes had bundled it goalwards, Spencer Weir-Daley was on hand to force the ball over the line from close-range.

United continued to carry a threat after the break, with Vauxhall readily retreating to protect their slender lead.

Ricky Miller burst into life to fire two efforts off target before testing keeper Zac Jones from distance, while the Motors’ stopper was also called upon to deny Weir-Daley at full stretch.

Time appeared to be running out, but with four men playing up front, Newsham seized possession on the edge of the box to dispatch a dipping volley beyond Jones’ grasp and spark jubilant scenes on the United bench.

The Pilgrims were not done and dusted and arguably should have won it in what turned out to be eight minutes of added time, with Miller wastefully firing off target and Peter Bore unleashing a blockbuster from distance which flew agonisingly 

MOTORS: Jones, Wainwright, Hannigan, Nicholas, Barnes, Williams, Noone (Clair 73), Fearnehough, Ellams (Stott 90); Rugg (Rutter 60), Noon. Subs (not used): Davies, Ellison (gk).
UNITED: Timms, Bore, Garner, Piergianni, Sansara (Galinski 83), Ross, Marshall, Milnes, Weir-Daley (Fairclough 64), Newsham, Miller. Subs (not used): Dongo, Reed, Vince (gk).

Ref: Mark Ackerman.

Att: 214

Final score: Vauchall Motors 2, Boston United 2