Marc Newsham deserves an England call-up, claims Boston United boss Graham Drury

Newsham in action against Stalybridge.
Newsham in action against Stalybridge.

Boston United manager Graham Drury has backed Marc Newsham to receive an international call-up... after he scored his 25th goal of the season.

The Pilgrims’ leading scorer has reached the 20-goal point for the third time in four seasons at York Street, his latest goal earning his side a draw against Stalybridge Celtic on Saturday.

With 61 minutes on the clock, and Boston trailing 2-1, Newsham latched on to a long ball over the top.

Needing just one touch he struck an effort on the turn from inside the penalty area, seeing his finish squirm under the outstretched arm of visiting keeper Alex Cairns.

And it’s goals like that which has led to Drury calling for his marksman to join the nation’s non-league set-up.

“It’s remarkable what he does. Why Paul Fairclough’s not had a look at him in the England C side I don’t know?” the manager told The Standard.

“People think he’s just a goalscorer, but he’s good on the pitch.

“Newsh gets you out of scrapes because he’s a great finisher, but his contribution’s good as well.

“He sees in his mind what he wants to do, and if it wasn’t for the lad clearing off the line he’d have got the winner.”

Indeed, were it not for Joel Bembo-Leta’s willingness to track back and make a last-ditch clearance after Newsham had rounded Cairns, the Pilgrims would have snatched a stoppage-time victory.

Boston should have taken the lead within the opening 10 minutes, but Spencer Weir-Daley somehow volleyed Newsham’s driven cross way over the crossbar from close range.

However, Stalybridge went in front in the 17th-minute as Chris Hall powered home a back-post header.

He connected well with Callum Warburton’s corner, but his finish was all too easy as United’s marking was slack and keeper Dan Haystead was caught flat footed.

Back came Boston and Newsham saw a flicked header tipped expertly over by Cairns before Spencer Weir-Daley levelled in the 40th minute.

Ben Milnes’ free kick was partially cleared by the Celtic defence, but Paul Lister hooked the ball back in for Nathan Stainfield to nod it in the direction of Weir-Daley, who wasn’t going to miss from close range a second time, heading into the empty net.

Corey Gregory fired the visitors in front for a second time on 51 minutes with an unstoppable 25-yard screamer.

But Boston had the final say, earning a deserved draw as Newsham’s low finish restored parity.