Pilgrims’ 4-0 victory is not quite enough, says boss Hurst

Paul Hurst wanted a better second-half showing from his Pilgrims
Paul Hurst wanted a better second-half showing from his Pilgrims

BOSTON United earned a 4-0 victory at lowly Stafford Rangers last night – but manager Paul Hurst said he still wanted more from his side.

Jamie Green gave the Pilgrims a 32-second lead, while Anthony Church, Miles Hunter and Shaun Pearson were also on target in a first-half thumping.

However, Hurst and fellow boss Rob Scott said they expected more from a subdued second half.

“You know us,” smirked Hurst when asked if he was satisfied with the result.

“We’re pleased with the result – we’d have taken 4-0 beforehand.

“But as a group we didn’t want to rest on our laurels – and we didn’t in the first half.

“However, in the last five minutes of the first half we took our foot of the gas.

“In the second half we asked them to push on, but I thought we could do better.”

Green needed just 32 seconds to stun second-bottom Stafford, who were beaten 5-0 at home by relegation battlers Hyde United on Saturday.

He fired home from close range after Adam Boyes’ strike rebounded of the crossbar and into his path.

“The game plan was to start bright and get at them early – but you don’t expect that,” added Hurst.

Church, who had already seen a 25-yard fizzing free kick tipped over by Rangers keeper Lee Evans, got on the scoresheet in the 28th minute as he headed home Green’s corner.

Three minutes later and Miles Hunter latched onto Danny Sleath’s through ball, outpacing the Rangers defence and smashing home low beyond Evans, his clenched-fist celebration summing up how much the strike meant to the player who is finally holding down a starting berth in the team.

The fourth came courtesy of Shaun Pearson, the centre back meeting James Cullingworth’s free kick at the back post, seeing his effort helped in by two hapless home defenders.

Boston, as their manager pointed out, took it steady in the second half, creating only a couple of meaning full chances, Hunter blazing off target after cutting into the box and his replacement, Spencer Weir-Daley, seeing Evans tip his close-range effort away from danger.

Stafford at least attempted to get back into the game, Dan Haystead twice having to block long-rangers from Niall Maguire.

However, despite Rangers never giving up, they had little answer to the superb defensive partnership of Kevin Austin and Shaun Pearson who played vital roles in the club keeping their second consecutive clean sheet.