Pilgrims are no pushovers, warns Boston United forward Ben Fairclough

Weir-Daley celebrates hitting Saturday's winning goal.
Weir-Daley celebrates hitting Saturday's winning goal.
Share this article

Ben Fairclough has warned his Skrill North rivals that Boston United are no-longer pushovers.

Marc Newsham and Spencer Weir-Daley found the net as the Pilgrims won 2-1 against Worcester City on Saturday.

And that leaves United with 10 points from their opening five matches of the season, right of track for manager Dennis Greene’s target of an average of two points per game.

In previous seasons, Boston could well have cracked under the late pressure from the Blues. But this campaign there’s been more of a steely resolve to the squad.

“I think we’ve definitely progressed from last season,” said Fairclough. “It’s a good return getting 10 points from five matches. We want to carry it on.

“I think there’s definitely more confidence here - because of the way results are going.

“No disrespect to the lads who have left, but I think we’re more solid at the back.”

City had won six of the past nine meetings between the two opponents, but after a 3-0 defeat at North Ferriby United on Bank Holiday Monday, it was vital the Pilgrims returned to winning ways.

But Fairclough was quick to point out that a good start means nothing unless it can be built upon.

“We’re up for it. But in 10-15 games we need to still be saying this,” he added. “I think it’s shown that we can grind out results.

“This has been the best start since I’ve been at the club, hopefully we can carry it on.”

Saturday’s victory owed more to dogged determination than sexy football, but as the full-time whistle blew United were seventh in the table, three points shy of pacesetters Hednesford Town.

Boston were handed a golden opportunity in the 24th-minute when Ricky Miller was bundled over in the box by Richard Munday. But Newsham’s penalty was weak and comfortably gathered by Jose Veiga.

However, a minute later he latched on to Conor Marshall’s clever through ball before smashing into the net from an acute angle.

The Blues drew level four minutes before half time after Peter Bore was caught in possession and Daniel Nti had the simple task of tapping in Luke Hubbins’ square ball.

But a half-time rollicking brought about a reaction. After Miller’s strike was blocked, Weir-Daley was on hand to fire into the net from close range.

In stoppage time Hubbins almost snatched a point for Worcester, but Scott Garner cleared off the goalline to preserve the points.