SOLIHULL MOORS 0 BOSTON UNITED 1: Southwell strike ends Moors’ unbeaten run

Dayle Southwell.
Dayle Southwell.

Dayle Southwell forced home the only goal of the game as Boston United ended Solihull Moors’ unbeaten record.

The hosts began the day without defeat in their 17 National League North contests, but the Pilgrims’ leading marksman had the final say, gaining some revenge for Boston’s 1-0 FA Trophy exit at Damson Park the previous week.

But the contest also signified the redemption of Henrich Ravas, the keeper making a series of superb saves to earn his clean sheet and exorcise the ghos of the previous week, where his spill allowed Callum Gittings to settle the contest.

Southwell handed the Pilgrims a 66th-minute lead, taking a gamble at the back post and finding himself in the right place to prod home substitute Jay Rollins’ deep cross.

It was the striker’s 14th goal of the campaign and keeps his unbelievable run of not going more than two games without scoring this season in tact.

United made one change to the side which lost 1-0 at the same venue in the FA Trophy seven days earlier, captain Scott Garner back from suspension and replacing Ryan Robbins.

It was the hosts who carved out the better chances in the opening half.

After Ryan Beswick and Darryl Knights had both blazed over from distance and Liam Daly saw his header land on the roof of the Pilgrims’ net, Henrich Ravas was forced into two important saves.

After smothering Beswick’s powerful strike at the second attempt, the Slovakian used his legs to deny Akwase Asante’s low effort after he broke through the Boston ranks.

United’s only real opportunities of the first 45 came from a Grant Roberts corner, where Carl Piergianni and Kaine Felix both saw efforts blocked before Jordan Blinco’s looping 20-yarder was held by Benjamin Siegrist.

The second half began drearily, with neither side able to take a foothold until Southwell poiunced with his poachers’ finish to open the scoring.

This seemed to add life to the contest, with Moors upping their game and Knights forcing Ravas into another fine save.

United came close to doubling their advantage in the unlikeliest of circumstances when Siegrist almost fumbled Zak Mills’ throw in into his own net, the on loan Villa keeper reacting in time to collect the ball on his goalline.

Ravas again kept his side in front with a firm save to tip Daly’s powerful strike around his post.

In stoppage time Beswick tried his luck from a free kick, but as the ball flew over the bar and out of the ground, his side’s record went with it.

MOORS: Siegrist, Streete, Daly, Dean, Nottingham (Gittings 75), Byrne, Beswick, Franklin (Walker 90), Knights, Asante, Moore (Armson HT); Subs (not used): English, Cowan.

UNITED: Ravas, Marrs, Mills, Piergianni, McEvoy, Roberts, Garner, Richards, Blinco (Adams 75), Southwell (Robbins 90), Felix (Rollins 58); Subs (not used): Johnson, Dixon.

Ref: Rob Massey-Ellis.