That’s better! Superb Pilgrims move up to second

Adam Boyes bagged a brace for Boston
Adam Boyes bagged a brace for Boston

Gainsborough Trinity 0 Boston United 3

WHAT a turnaround! Boston United restored county pride and moved up to second in the Blue Square Bet North standings with a comprehensive 3-0 drubbing of Gainsborough at the Northolme.

New-signing Adam Boyes got off the mark as he grabbed a brace, while Danny Sleath was also on target for the Pilgrims.

It was a victory that restored confidence to the recently woeful Boston side, and also avenged New Year’s Day’s 3-1 defeat to Trinity.

But most importantly of all, it placed the Pilgrims right back in the promotion mix.

Last night, United looked a completely different side to the one which had lost at Worcester and struggled past Redditch.

From back to front they played with confidence and style, tearing their Yellowbelly rivals to pieces.

United took the lead as early as the seventh minute when Jamie Yates, who enjoyed his evening toying with right back Neal Spafford, played a neat one-two with Spencer Weir-Daley and burst into the hosts’ box.

Yates may have scuffed his shot across goal, but poacher Boyes was free at the back post, stretching out one of his gangly legs to slide the ball home.

Gainsborough – who have won at home in the BSB North just once all season - forced their way back into the match.

Josh Davies’ superb long-range volley fell inches wide of goal, while Boston keeper Dan Haystead was at his best to deny defender Luke Waterfall’s neat flick, and to smother Ryan Williams’ fizzing drive.

But Boston were keeping Gainsborough limited to long range efforts while enjoying game time in the hosts’ penalty area.

Shane Clarke – who was in inspired form – was denied by Gavin ward as he broke through, but a minute before half-time Boston had doubled their lead.

Yates teed up Weir-Daley in the penalty area, but the forward lost possession under pressure from Gavin Cowan.

However, Sleath picked up the loose ball and cleverly poked home through a crowded penalty area.

After the break, United went for the jugular.

Yates saw a volley fly inches wide, while Anthony Church saw a free kick tipped over by Ward, before the midfielder smashed a header against the cross bar when connecting with the resultant Yates corner.

Shaun Pearson also saw a header crash against the woodwork for United as Brian Little’s Gainsborough were now playing a damage limitation game.

Boston’s third came on 70 minutes when Gareth Jelleyman’s long ball saw Boyes beat the offside trap, round Ward and slot home, despite the attempts of Waterfall.

It was game over, but Boston were granted a moment of fortune in the 78th minute.

Cullingworth, who had already been booked for a rash challenge, poleaxed Ryan Williams down the right flank with an extremely late challenge.

Referee Darren England spotted the infringement, blew for a free kick and.... booked the wrong man, Anthony Church receiving an unwarranted yellow.

And that was it for the action on the pitch, although the travelling Pilgrims fans played on to the final whistle, banging their drums and repeating their chorus of ‘we are going up’.

TRINITY: Gavin Ward, Neal Spafford, Luke Waterfall, Gavin Cowan, Nathan Peat, Ryan Williams, Josh Davies, Andrew Boyce, Lewis McMahon (Sam Aiston 67), Ryan Kendall, Leon Mettam; Subs (not used): Luke Beckett, Mark Greaves, Paul Mayo, Jamie Clarke.

UNITED: Dan Haystead, James Cullingworth, Shaun Pearson, Lee Canoville, Gareth Jelleyman, Jamie Yates (Harry Deane 87), Anthony Church, Shane Clarke, Danny Sleath, Adam Boyes (Danny Davidson 82), Spencer Weir-Daley (Marc Newsham 72); Subs (not used): Rory Coleman, Miles Hunter.

Att: 648