‘There’s more to come’ says Boston United striker Southwell after reaching double figures

Dayle Southwell.
Dayle Southwell.

Dayle outhwell bagged his 10th goal of the season on Saturday before promising that ‘there’s a lot more to come’.

As the striker slotted home Jordan Richards’ low cross to complete Boston United’s comeback and earn a point at AFC Telford United, he reached double figures from just 15 National League North contests.

The finish was Southwell’s second goal in six contests and, although many opposing forwards would dream of such a return, Southwell - a self-confessed bad loser and his own worst critic - has felt frustrated with his recent form.

“I started off really well in the first few games - I got four in three - and then recently it’s been a bit slower than I would have liked,” he told The Standard.

“But the chances haven’t been coming as often as I’d like, but I’m happy to score and get the point here.

“My biggest positive is that I don’t feel I’ve been playing as well as I could have, and I’ve not been getting the chances I got last year, and I’m still on 10 goals. I think there’s a lot more to come.”

It is no secret that Southwell would love to beat last season’s total of 30 goals, and finish the campaign with the division’s golden boot.

But his main aim remains winning promotion with the Pilgrims.

Saturday’s 2-2 draw at New Bucks Head stretched Boston’s unbeaten run to four games, and Southwell is adamant that his team can finish the campaign by booking a place at non-league’s top table.

“There’s more to come, we haven’t had a settled side, we’ve had suspensions and injuries,” he added.

“Once we get a settled side and formation you’ll see the Boston of last season again.”

The team in amber and black looked a far cry from last season’s full-throttle team at the interval on Saturday as they trailed 2-0.

The Pilgrims rode their luck early on as Henrich Ravas made a superb early stop to deny David Hibbert from close range.

However, Robert Paratore gave Telford a seventh-minute lead with a neatly-executed curler from the edge of the penalty area.

Hibbert doubled the advantage when he latched onto James Montgomery’s goal kick and sent a dipper into the net from 25 yards out.

Had Ravas not turned Bucks debutant Jake Hibbs’ drive round his post it could have been game over by half time.

But United had caused problems from setpieces. A well-worked free kick saw Montgomery deny Scott Garner while, from the resultant corner, the keeper twice punched Carl Piergianni headers off the line.

Piergianni - who scored the only goal as Boston beat Telford a fortnight earlier - crashed another header onto the crossbar.

Eight minutes after the re-start Boston were handed a lifeline as Hibbs - already on a booking for a dangerous challenge on Dylan McEvoy - needlessly tugged back Liam Marrs and received his marching orders.

From McEvoy’s free kick, Piergianni beat Montgomery to the ball and reduced the arrears.

Southwell then completed the comeback in the 63rd minute, finding space in the penalty area to convert Jordan Richards’ low cross high into the net.

Ryan Rowe had a chance to earn Telford all three points late on, but another top save from Ravas kept the scores level.