Three is a magic number! Greene hails attacking formation as Boston United bounce back at Nuneaton

Scott Garner.
Scott Garner.

Dennis Greene hailed a ‘fantastic’ team performance as his Boston United side left Nuneaton Town with a 3-1 victory.

Debutant Ryan Robbins took just 18 minutes to open his account following his move from Stamford, while Dayle Southwell and Scott Garner also got their names on the scoresheet.

“It was fantastic performance, we got at them from the word go,” said a smiling Greene, who picked a three-man attack of Robbins, Southwell and Mark Jones in a bid to take the game to the Boro, who began the day in third.

“We gambled with the three up top, we don’t often play it.

“We’ve got options, but they’ve played really well today. When you’ve got to try to contain all three of them it’s really hard.”

The manager may have been pleased with the way his strikeforce went about their business, but he failed to find fault with any of his players on a day which saw Boston once again look like the side from last season which dominated their opponents.

“Overall we were excellent,” Greene added.

“I didn’t think anyone on the pitch did a lot wrong, and when we do that we’re capable of winning games consistently.”

The only downer on the day was an injury to Aaron Greene who left the ground on crutches after hurting his knee.

The youngster will have a scan at parent club Brentford this week in a bid to identify his injury.

Robbins handed his side the early advantage after finishing from close range following a direct run and strike from Grant Roberts.

Roberts again turned provider in the 24th minute as he slotted through Southwell, who bagged his ninth goal of the campaign after getting the better of keeper Jordan Smith.

Southwell began the second half by smashing an effort against the crossbar, but it was 3-0 13 minutes after the re-start when Garner forced home from close range.

The captain won the initial header from Roberts’ free kick and was quickest to react after Robbins scuffed his effort on goal.

Three minutes later Rob Duffy reduced the arrears.

Henrich Ravas did well to block Joe Maguire’s effort, but the substitute was first to pounce.

Town, however, failed to build upon their momentum and it was the away side who came closest to scoring again - only for Nicky Walker’s header to be cleared off the line by Maguire.

There was also time for Kaine Felix to replace Southwell with little more than 20 minutes to go.

Following an ankle injury sustained against Solihull Moors, the winger has been sidelined since August 31, meaning he also missed out on joining an England C training camp.

However, Felix was finally able to pick up some much-needed game time.

Victory moved United up to 11th in the standings, five points behind Boro, who hold the final play-off spot.