Tough luck! Boss Greene says Boston United deserved their defeat at North Ferriby

Spencer Weir-Daley in action at Grange Lane.
Spencer Weir-Daley in action at Grange Lane.

After their superb start to the Skrill North season, Boston United were brought back down to earth with a heavy bump at North Ferriby.

Unbeaten in three tough matches and yet to concede a goal from open play, the Pilgrims were full of confidence when they arrived at Grange Lane on Monday.

But their opponents - smarting from their 5-0 drubbing at Harrogate Town on Saturday - got what they deserved after taking the game to Boston.

“North Ferriby were better than us all over the pitch,” admitted Pilgrims manager Dennis Greene.

“They worked their socks off and showed their intent early on.

“They were everywhere the ball was, and we were everywhere the ball’s just been.”

However, Greene believed that the outcome could have been different had referee David Richardson acted when Anthony Wilson clattered into Netan Sansara early on.

Ferriby’s game plan was very much about bullying the away side, and Greene believes that an early yellow card may have calmed things down.

“The referee let them get away with a horrendous tackle early on and that’s how the game went,” the Boston boss added.

“They put their foot in and we stopped showing for the ball.

“Physically, they were really strong, but the referee let them get away with it early on.”

Whether or not Davidson should have put Wilson’s name into the book, Boston will come up against plenty more rugged opponents this season and they will have to adapt rather than resorting to the long ball tactics which did them no favours at Ferriby.

In a first half what offered little by the way of goalmouth action, Ferriby’s Liam King should have done better with a lobbed effort and Jamie Yates - roundly booed by the Boston fans, as is customary since he quit York Street - saw adrive simply caught by Ashley Timms.

For the Pilgrims, Ricky Miller’s 20-yarder, which curled away from goal, was their only real chance in the first half.

Gregg Anderson handed Ferriby a 42nd-minute lead when he rose highest to nod home Yates’ corner from close range, and 46 seconds after the re-start the lead was doubled when Nathan Jarman fired a low drive beyond Timms.

Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin only had one save to make all match, but he did well to fingertip Scott Garner’s header round his post.

Jarman should have grabbed his second when given a sight of goal, but he failed to hit the target.

However, the striker made amends in the 81st minute as he turned Stefan Galinski and rifled goal number three into the net.

“It didn’t happen for the boys today,” said captain Ian Ross.

“Ferriby deserved the three points.

“A lot of the lads are gutted but we need to pick ourselves back up.”