VIDEO: Gainsborough Trinity 1 Boston United 3 - watch the Pilgrims lift the Lincolnshire Senior Shield

Boston United ended their season with silverware - at the expense of county rivals Gainsborough Trinity - as they lifted the Lincolnshire Senior Shield.

Ben Fairclough’s strike had ruled out Paul Connor’s opener, before last-gasp headers from central defenders Tom Ward and Nathan Stainfield secured victory.

Impressive debut: Sam Vince

Impressive debut: Sam Vince

But, for United, the highlight of the evening was arguably a superb debut from teenage keeper Sam Vince.

Less than three minutes into the contest and the Pilgrims should have been awarded a penalty.

Fairclough cleverly chipped the ball over man of the match Terry Hawkridge, but his attempts of connecting as it dropped were denied by the defender’s outstretched leg.

However, referee Darren Drysdale was having none of it and let play go on.

Then came unbelievable scenes as Boston somehow missed two sitters.

Firstly, Jason White parried Spencer Weir-Daley’s stinging drive and then fumbled the ball at the second attempt.

As the ball bounced on the goalline, leading scorer Marc Newsham was there to poach... or so he thought.

The spin on the ball saw it hit the forward on the back before Greg Young cleared the danger.

Then, another goalmouth scramble - with White again making things difficult for himself - saw Weir-Daley somehow miss from two yards out.

But those two misses gave Trinity - with 11 players unavailable ahead of kick off - confidence to push forward.

Sixteen-year-old Vince was given his first-team debut, after regular number one Dan Haystead declared himself unfit.

But any reservations about him stepping up were soon put at ease as he held firm to tremendously tip Connor’s powerful drive over the bar.

And the youngster - son of reserves boss Nigel Vince - calmed those nerves again with a routine save from ex-Pilgrim Jon Williams’ 20-yard free kick.

However, he could do nothing to prevent Connor handing Gainsborough a 32nd-minute lead.

Latching on to Sam Russell’s neat through ball, he took one touch before poking beyond the exposed Vince from eight yards out.

At half time Trinity made two changes, bringing on youngsters Jake Park and Ward Wisdom Lockwood for Jamie Yates and Bradley Bull.

And within four minutes of the re-start, United were level.

After the Blues failed to clear their lines, Ben Fairclough reacted first to fire into the roof of the net from close range.

Seconds later and Fairclough was involved in a clash of heads with Greg Young.

The Boston man was ok to continue, but the Trinity defender had to be replaced by Josh Batty.

As the Pilgrims turned the screw, Greg Mills saw a 20-yarder graze the top of the Trinity crossbar and Ian Ross’ free kick failed to beat the wall.

Then, at the other end, Batty found himself through on goal, but Vince made another fine stop to prevent the hosts retaking the lead.

Vince was then a spectator as Simon Russell’s drive flew inches wide.

But the Pilgrims wrapped up victory late on with defenders Tom Ward and Nathan Stainfield both heading home Ian Ross corners.

Ward won the tie in the 86th minute, before Stainfield replicatred three minutes later.

TRINITY: White, Yates (Park HT), Hawkridge, Waterfall, Young (Batty 55), Roma, Russell, Williams, Karkach, Connor, Bull (Wisdom Lockwood); Subs (not used): Budtz.

UNITED: Vince, Marshall (Lister 90), Silk, Milnes, Stainfield, Ward, Fairclough (Reed 90), Ross, Weir-Daley, Newsham, Mills (Sanders 76); Subs (not used): Utd subs: Foster, Sturman.

Ref: Darren Drysdale.