“We weren’t at the races!” Greene reflects on Worcester defeat as Boston United’s play-off hopes come to an end

Dennis Greene.
Dennis Greene.

Boston United’s play-off hopes were ended on Saturday, with manager Dennis Greene left frustrated that the side fell short of his required standards.

A 3-0 defeat at Worcester City saw the Pilgrims complete their Skrill North campaign six points behind fifth-placed Guiseley.

“It’s disappointing that we didn’t perform anywhere near where we did last week,” reflected Greene, comparing his team’s showing unfavourably to the Easter Monday clash which saw league leaders North Ferriby United toppled 2-0.

“It was the same starting XI that played against Ferriby. And no-one was near the required standard I expect of them.

“It looked, unfortunately, like some had holidays on their mind.”

United, backed by their 306 travelling fans, made the trip to Aggborough with a slim chance of snatching fifth place.

Their goal difference would have been enough to carry them into the final play-off spot if they could beat Worcester and Guiseley went down at home to Gloucester City.

And despite Gloucester taking a surprise early lead in Yorkshire - only for the home side to come from behind and cement fifth spot with a 3-1 success - United were unable to claim the victory they needed.

“We weren’t at the races,” Greene added.

“It would have been nice to give our fans - who were unbelievable all season - a goal.”

Instead, it was the Dragons who found the net... three times.

United could have taken the lead secods into the contest when City keeper Jose Veiga slammed his clearance straight at Liam Agnew.

But the deflection squirmed wide of the Worcester goal.

Daniel Nti handed Worcester a 53rd-minute lead, finishing from close range following pressure from the hosts.

Boston bounced back and looked to have cleared after Ricky Miller latched on to Jamie McGhee’s cutback and beat Veiga with his effort.

But Tyler Weir was in the right place to block the Pilgrim’s strike on the goalline.

Weir was in action at the other end on the hour mark, firing a low 20-yarder beyond Lewis King to double his side’s lead.

With 14 minutes left to play, Weir put the contests beyond doubt as he found the top corner with a strike which deflected off Zak Mills.

Andy Hewitt became the forth keeper to turn out for United this season as he was handed his debut with 12 minutes to go.

And the stoppermade an excellent save to deny Ethan Moore in the closing stages.