GALLERY: Action from Boston United V Gloucester City

Boston United manager Dennis Greene had cited a fast start against Gloucester City as being imperative on Saturday - and he certainly got his wish.

Following successive defeats against Oxford City and Stockport County, the Pilgrims needed a response and they had already carved out two chances for Dayle Southwell and Danny Meadows by the time they took the lead on five 

Boston United v Gloucester.

Boston United v Gloucester.

Southwell slipped the ball back to Liam Marrs and his cross-shot was driven home from close-range by David Fallah, who was finally able to celebrate his first goal for the Pilgrims.

City responded with Chris Jones rattling Paul Farman’s crossbar, but the remainder of the half was spent exclusively in the Gloucester half.

Rene Steer stung the palms of City’s debutant keeper Paul White, who went on to save three Carl Piergianni headers as well as denying Fallah his second.

The second half was 15 seconds old when the Pilgrims put the contest to bed. Fallah’s angled drive was beaten away by White, with United debutant Conner Robinson responding quickly to head home the rebound to mark his arrival on loan from Lincoln City in the best possible fashion.

City’s best chance in the second half saw Piergianni clear off the line to deny substitute Nathan 

It was otherwise still a story of chances aplenty for the Pilgrims, with White excelling to deny Southwell, Piergianni and substitute Jamie McGhee.

United closed out a deserved victory, their first in three outings, before switching attentions to Saturday’s FA Cup clash against Dereham 

UNITED: Farman, Mills, Steer, Dowie, Garner, Piergianni, Marrs, Fallah (McGhee 65), Southwell, Robinson (Felix 76), Meadows (Marshall 86). Subs (not used): Galinski, Hollingsworth.

CITY: White, Avery, B Jones, Hamilton (Richards 53), Williams, Connolly, Hogg (Webb 65), Miller, Griffin, Parker, C Jones (Modest 65). Subs (not used): Chamberlain, Green.

Ref: Alf Greenwood.

Attendance: 992.