Last-gasp fightback sees 10-man Town move up to seventh

Jordan Nuttell.
Jordan Nuttell.

UCL Premier

Boston Town 2

Wellingborough 1

Boston orchestrated a thrilling comeback on Saturday showing, considerable spirit in a heavily-contested game, writes Tristan Simpson.

After a dismal defeat to Northampton Sileby Rangers a week before, Boston looked eager to get back to winning ways, but with only 10 men on the pitch with the scoreline reading 1-0 to Wellingborough going into the final 10 minutes, it seemed they were heading for another disappointing loss.

However Boston had different ideas with Alex Beck and Jack Wightwick ensuring all three points stayed at the DWB stadium in a thrilling finale.

It took a controversial red card for Terry Fleming to force the game to life with both teams stepping up the tempo to capture the result they desired.

In a game which saw four yellow cards as well as the debated red, the game became heated with both sides locking horns to capitalize on the few opportunities provided.

New signing Jordan Nuttell returned for his first game back at Boston and, in a solid performance, provided both the assists for the decisive goals.

The second half begun badly for the home side as it took only a minute before the Northamptonshire side went ahead in this UCL Premier contest.

A simple ball over the top fell kindly to Jake Newman, who smashed the ball into the back of the net past the despairing James Doughty.

As Boston pursued the equalizer their efforts took a major blow when, in winning the ball, Fleming’s outstretched leg caught a Wellingborough player.

After a heated confrontation between players, the Boston midfielder was shown a straight red.

As the Poachers seemed to be heading for another defeat the game took a decisive turn on its head.

In the 85th minute a long throw from Ford met the head of Nuttell, who delicately flicked the ball on for Beck to poke the ball past the Wellingborough keeper.

With only 10 men on the pitch a draw seemed a satisfactory result, yet Boston’s fight was not yet over.

With only two minutes left to play, Nuttell weaved his way past two defenders with fine footwork before offloading the ball to Wightwick.

The winger swerved his way into the box and, having beaten four defenders, placed his shot into the top left corner.

The result moved the Poachers up to seventh in the league.

TOWN: Doughty, Lambley, Parker, Borbely (Kennedy), Ashton (Ford), Stevens (Fleming), Eyett, Field, Beck, Nuttell, Wightwick; Subs (not used): Battersby, Jencsi.