Late goal breaks Fishtoft hearts in Willoughby Cup final

Conrad Louth is tripped by the Spilsby stopper.
Conrad Louth is tripped by the Spilsby stopper.

SPILSBY Town won the Willoughby Cup - with the last kick of the game.

The Boston and District Saturday Football League Premier side beat Fishtoft, from Division One, at Tattershall Road on Tuesday, writes Neil Johnson.

Fishtoft stormed out of the traps from the offset and could have taken an early lead when Joe Wood hit an upright.

Ben Parkinson then went close for the Division One side when he volleyed straight at the keeper.

Fishtoft continued to threaten as Conrad Louth burst through.

But as headed the ball round the advancing Craig Parry, he was brought down just outside the box. Parry was handed a yellow card before denying Wood from the resulting free kick.

Spilsby were restricted to shots from distance and Daniel Cobb went close when his free-kick was turned round the post.

Fishtoft missed a golden chance when Declan Wilson nudged the ball forward, but Louth couldn’t hit the target.

At the other end, Travis Herberts flashed a shot wide.

Another Fishtoft chance went begging just before the break as Wilson shot straight at the keeper and Louth couldn’t capitalise on the rebound.

The first half ended with Cobb’s corner being dropped by Leon Pycock, before he recovered.

Fishtoft started the second half where they had left off as Darren Vinters dragged a free-kick wide and Wilson looped a header into the keeper’s arms.

Wood then lifted his shot over the bar.

Pycock saved well 10 minutes from time before Spilsby could have snatched victory when Mark Ingram went close with a header.

Fishtoft also had two late chances in the closing stages through Simon Hyland and Pete Coonan.

There was little to write home about in extra time with Louth going closest with a header.

But as a penalty shoot-out looked inevitable, Josh Bartlett cut in from the left flank before burying a fine low drive into the bottom right-hand corner.

Lincolnshire FA Delegate Derek Andrews presented the trophies. Fishtoft’s Mark Wakefield was named Man of the Match.