LINCS JUNIOR CUP: Snaith treble sees Swineshead progress

Gavin Bell.
Gavin Bell.

Alex Snaith was the hero as Swineshead Institute booked their place in round three of the Mason Bros Lincs Junior Cup following a 3-0 away win at Fulbeck United.

Snaith struck a hat-trick to settle the contest and earn the Boston Saturday League side’s safe passage.

Benington put in a really brave performance against Lincolnshire League highflyers Horncastle Town, before eventually going down 4-3.

Benington shocked their opponents with the opening goal when Tom Baxter converted from the penalty spot after Daniel Busch was felled in the area by the Horncastle goalkeeper before a huge turning point proved to a pivotal moment.

Again The Town keeper was involved as he appeared to pole-axe Tim Bell in the box but Benington’s hopes were dashed when, somehow, the referee decided that what appeared to be a stonewall penalty was turned down.

Horncaste made the most of their good fortune in the second half when they hit Benington with a two-goal reply to lead 2-1.

Busch pulled Benington level when his equaliser took his personal tally to three goals in four games for his new club.

Benington were rocked again by another two-goal salvo from Town, but they remained in the game when Gavin Bell reduced the arrears to 4-3 to provide late excitement.

Horncastle stood firm, however, to see out the final moments of the game.

Lincolnshire League outfit Wyberton were beaten on penalties at Lincoln Saturday League table toppers RM Imps.

Daniel Maddison, Daniel White and Scott Dawson scored for Wyberton in a 3-3 draw.

However, they bowed out 5-4 on spot kicks with Grant Butler being the unlucky Wyberton player from 12 yards.

There was further frustration for three more Boston Saturday League sides.

Spilsby Town also put up a brave fight against North Somercoates as they held their opponents to a 1-1 scoreline during normal time.

A disastrous extra-time period saw them crash out as they conceded four goals to end up with a 5-1 defeat.

Ruskington Rovers found themselves trailing 2-0 at the half-time stage against Horrowby Saints and a further goal was conceded in the second half to make the final score 3-0.

The tie between Pointon and Appleby Froddingham was abandoned due to the weather conditions after 23 minutes.

The game has been re-scheduled to take place on Saturday.