Poachers suffer second succesive defeat

Boston Town v Wellingborough football action.
Boston Town v Wellingborough football action.

BOSTON Town slipped to a second successive home defeat in the space of four days, with Saturday’s reverse to fellow mid-table side Wellingborough.

And the Poachers also suffered their third red card in eight days with the dismissal of Michael Wood in this UCL Premier clash.

Boston can have few complaints, as a lacklustre first half display was to be their undoing.

Despite a bright start, which saw the home side passing the ball around the park quite freely, the visitors soon got in their stride and penned Boston back in their own half.

With the strike duo of Jammal Shahin and Nick Brown being outmuscled up front by the Doughboys’ bigger and stronger centre backs, Boston’s attacks came to nothing, allowing the visitors to increase the pressure.

Following a corner, needlessly given away by Wood, a goalmouth scramble ended with the impressive Tom Liversedge firing home from close range after 12 minutes

The game continued in the same vein and, on 24 minutes, the Boston defense needlessly gave possession.

Wellingborough directed the ball down Boston’s left and a pinpoint cross was met by the head of Liversedge for number two.

However, in a game of two halves, Boston started much the brighter after the break and would go on to dominate the second period.

On 79 minutes they got a deserved breakthrough, Nick Brown’s trickery on the left saw him beat his man inside only to be tripped inside the area.

Sat on the bench was regular penalty taker Gary Bull, currently stuck on 199 club goals.

But no change was made and Shahin stepped up.

His spot kick was well saved by Danny Walls, but Brown was first to react though and put the rebound away.

It was too little too late from the home side, although Wood received a second booking late on for the slightest of challenges.

TOWN: Wright, Jones, Parker, Brooks (Bull), Wood, Smith, Kirton, Borbely, Shahin, Foster, Brown.