Quorn leave a bitter taste as Boston Town are dumped out of the FA Cup

Michael Wood clears.
Michael Wood clears.

BOSTON Town were dumped unceremoniously out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle - in a game of what-might-have-beens.

The tie, the first competitive match for new boss Ian Dunn, had already presented some challenges, with the Poachers without central defenders Jack Smith (transferred) and Matt Hocking (unavailable), while keeper Chris Wright and full back Luke Wilson were both out due to injury.

However, boss Dunn was making no excuses following the defeat.

He told The Standard: “On the day we didn’t do enough in the right areas.

“We gifted them the two goals as we fell asleep.

“The chances we had at the other end, we didn’t put away.

“I’m guilty of one of them, but we didn’t capitalise like they did.

“We played some good football and more than matched them, even with a patched-up defence.”

Quorn, newcomers to the United Counties League Premier Division, having dropped down from the Evostik Division One South, made their intentions clear from the off.

Striker Liam Turner and ex-Boston United winger Tyrone Kirk both had early chances thwarted by stand-in stopper Peter Cook.

Cook was then forced into a fine save from close range before the visitors struck the post.

The relief was short-lived though. Cook called for a speculative long ball, only to see Josh Mountain nod past him, presenting the grateful Turner with an empty net to fire into.

Quorn continued to threaten and Mountain redeemed himself with a last-ditch tackle.

Town then found their feet and efforts fell to Sam Kirton and Lori Borbely, but neither could find the net.

After the break, Town had more chances, with Michael Wood and Dunn both firing efforts over the bar.

Quorn were then granted a golden opportunity to double their advantage after new signing Luke Toner conceded a penalty for handball, but Cook guessed right to deny the visitors.

Town spurned a further opportunity to draw level as Toner put his header well past the left upright on 72 minutes.

Quorn grabbed the all-important second goal a minute later.

A break down the right saw the ball crossed into Martin Bowles, who gleefully slid the ball low and beyond Cook.

Despite’s Quorn’s dominance late on, Town still produced one final chance.

However, Josh Ford, who ran 30 yards after latching onto Borbely’s through ball, saw his effort saved.

Any chance of a fightback were gone and Town were out of the FA Cup at the extra-preliminary stage.

TOWN: Cook, Stocks (Ruck), Kirton, Toner, Wood, Mountain, Clancy, Foster, Ford, Barber (Dunn), Borbely.