Saturday Football League: Old Leake beat Freiston in nine-goal thriller

Ben Parker looks to get a tackle in during Westside Rangers' 3-2 defeat to Holbeach Bank.
Ben Parker looks to get a tackle in during Westside Rangers' 3-2 defeat to Holbeach Bank.

The weekly round-up of action in the Boston Saturday Football League, by Neil Johnson...

Old Leake just got the better of Taylors Garages Premier Division opponents Freiston in Saturday’s nine-goal thriller.

Freiston were also reduced to nine men in the Boston Saturday Football League clash.

Dan Rowe received his marching orders early on.

Strangely, however, Freiston did equip themselves well when they went down to 10 men, and it took a late Danny Tempest goal to seal victory for Old Leake.

It was Freiston who opened the scoring before Craig Slater levelled the scores.

And this pattern was repeated when the visitors regained their lead, only for Slater to equalise yet again to make the scores 2-2.

It was then the turn of Adam Tempest to put Old Leake in front for the first time with a double strike.

Freiston somehow clawed themselves back into the game to level the scores at 4-4.

The game appeared to be heading for a draw until Tempest popped up with five minutes remaining to seal the three points and complete his hat-trick.

Freiston went down to nine men in the closing minutes with the home side running down the clock.

Midfielder Fravigar took exception to Bert Snaith wasting time and an unfortunate elbow incident meant the inevitable walk of shame.

The visitors’ goals came from Frazer Bayliss - who scored a brace - Paul Chester and Fravigar.

Goals from David Cook and Nathan Wilson secured the three points for Pointon, following their 2-1 home win against Fishtoft. After finding themselves 2-0 down at the interval, Fishtoft pulled a goal back after 70 minutes through Curtis Revill.

The same player then went desperately close to equalising but his 25-yard screamer was ruled out for offside.

It took an own goal 12 minutes from time to settle the encounter between Skegness Town Reserves and Kirton Town.

The all-important breakthrough came from a free kick which a Skegness player diverted past his own goalkeeper for what proved to be the winning goal.

Nicky Syndercombe bagged a brace as Wyberton Reserves won 3-0 against Pointon Reserves in the Taylors Peugeot Division One.

The Wyberton Poacher hit two goals - his fourth brace of the season - while teammate Daniel Johnson also got on the scoresheet.

Jac Wright was Billinghay Athletic Reserves’ hero, striking four times as they beat Skegness United Reserves 7-2.

Alex Smith grabbed two goals for his side and the final Billinghay goal came from Adam Burrows.

Wainfleet United, still looking for their first point of the season, led 2-0 through Craig Booth and Adam Mitchell.

Opponents Mareham United re-discovered their form to lead 3-2 at the break.

It was now Wainfleet’s turn to be left reeling as they went downhill, losing 7-2.

Freiston Reserves are still on top of the table following a 3-2 home win against Spalding Harriers.

Reece Coddington grabbed two of his side’s goals.

Perrie Dale hit the other Freiston goal on a day which was spoilt by the sending off of Jamie Elston.

Spalding made a go of the match, replying through strikes from Aiden Doherty and Daniel Wilshire.

Nelson got back to winning ways in the Taylors Ford Division Two, succeeding 6-1 at Fishtoft Reserves.

Liam Shinn grabbed a brace, while Ben Swift, Ashley English, Christian Parker and Ben Ladds completed the scoring. Simon Hyland replied for Fishtoft.

Leverton and Park United played out an exciting 5-5 draw.

Alex Tilley, Will Chalmers, Chris Lawson and Connor Wroot scored for Leverton, who looked like the cause was lost, until a last-minute handball saw Tilley coolly slot home apenalty to share the spoils.

Leverton keeper Giles Elson was sent off just before full time after an altercation.

Neal Wheatley hit two goals for Westside Rangers, but they went down 3-2 to visiting Holbeach Bank.

Jimmy Britton and Jake Truepenny grabbed the goals for Queens Rangers in their 2-0 away win at Mareham United Reserves.

In the Taylors Vauxhall Division Three, Jamie Robinson hit four goals for Spalding Harriers Reserves in their 8-0 home win against Sutterton Reserves.

There were two own goals in Spalding’s tally, while Dilip Tamang and Morgan Taylor were also on target.

Lewis Mundt’s strike gave Benington Reserves a 1-0 home win against Tulip FC.

Pointon A’s Dave Panton, Tom Zealand (pen) and Krysztof Kowalski netted in a 3-1 win against Friskney.

Andy Brown rediscovered his goalscoring touch, hitting a hat-trick as Fosdyke drew 4-4 at Swineshead Reserves.

Ben Charlton struck the other Fosdyke goal.

Spilsby Reserves’ Daniel Smith struck twice in a 3-2 loss to Burgh United.

Wrangle United caused the upset of the day in the Fishtoft Cup, knocking out Premier Division outfit Spilsby Town.

The Division One side won 2-1 with goals from Lemos Pereira and Dan Anderson. Dan Tuplin netted for Spilsby.

Wrangle will meet Woodhall Spa United, who beat a brave Fosdyke team 2-0.

Two goals from Reece Young helped put Wyberton into the semi-finals following their 5-2 away win at Old Dons. Dan White, Chris Rutt and Ben Jacques also netted.

Chris Wing and Paul Clarke scored as Swineshead beat Billinghay 2-1.