Saturday football league results: heavy rain cancels several matches but fails to dampen others

Share this article

Last week’s heavy rainfall put paid to eight of The Boston Saturday League’s fixtures as several already saturated pitches couldn’t cope with being ‘topped up’ by even further downpours - here’s the full report of this weeks’ matches.

Taylors Garages Premier Division

Billinghay Athletic went down to a surprise home defeat at the hands of Skegness Town Reserves although the postponement of the visitor’s first team game may have helped strengthen the visitors ranks. However, it took a blistering late five minute spell to secure victory for The East Coast side as Billinghay remained firmly in the game trailing by just 3-2 as the game entered the closing stages. Goals from Tom Moor and Mark Wheatley kept the home side in the game before that late show from Skegness snatched a comfortable looking 5-2 away win.

There was a similar story, especially during the first half of the game at Spilsby Town where Swineshead held a slender 1-0 half time lead. The visitors stepped up the pace after the break as the rain lashed down and Spilsby collapsed to a 5-2 defeat. Matt Barker and Jordan Smith were on target for Town while Swineshead took three valuable points with goals from Chris Wing 2, Jack Houghton, Robbie Masters and an own goal.

Old Doningtonians came out on top of their home clash with Pointon following a 4-2 victory. Oliver Gedney, Martin Fox, Chris Grimer and Kieran Rose hit the crucial goal for The Dons.

Two of Benington’s new signings were on target for their side in a 5-0 victory. Martin Patterson and ex-Boston Town striker Graham Neal both got on the scorehseet as Freiston suffered another setback. Benington’s other goals came from Scott Ellary, Gavin Bell and Tom Baxter.

Kirton Town’s Graves Park suffered once more with surface water standing on their pitch following heavy rain so their home fixture against Old Leake was called off.

Taylors Peugeot Division One

Wrangle United and Coningsby produced an entertaining game which was a credit to The Boston Saturday League as both sides gave everything in an effort to win the game but, in the end, they had to settle for a share of the points following a 2-2 draw. Coningsby started brightly and enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges creating a couple of good chances but it was Wrangle who responded to take the lead. Tom Martin outpaced his marker before beating the keeper from the tightest of angles to give Wrangle a slender one-goal lead at the break. Coningsby stormed back in the second half and, after putting the home side under severe pressure, they drew level, albeit in bizarre fashion when a long punt up-field from the goalkeeper somehow found its way into The Wrangle net. The equaliser spurred Conignsby on and they probably looked the more likely side to go on and win the match but Wrangle’s battling qualities somehow turned the game round when Joe Pitcher scored from close range following a far post cross to make it 2-1. Coningsby deservedly found an equaliser with fifteen minutes left to return home with a share of the points in an absorbing contest.

Jason Cooke hit two goals for Woodhall Spa United in their home game against Billinghay Athletic Reserves as their upturn in form continued. Callum Cheetham was also on target for the home side in a fine 3-0 victory.

Taylors Ford Division Two

Park United were so close to recording their first win of the season when they entertained Holbeach Bank but a goal two minutes from time robbed them of victory. Chris Wright and Aaron John grabbed the goals which looked like giving the home side all three points as they held a slender 2-1 advantage with the game entering the final minutes. But then came that cruel late equaliser to earn Holbeach Bank a share of the points following a 2-2 draw.

Two goals from Matt Bates lifted Westside Rangers to the top of the table following a 3-1 victory over Sutterton. Rangers moved their fixture to Old Leake’s Community Centre Ground following the decision to call off The Rosebery Avenue pitches but the upheaval didn’t affect Westside as they gained three valuable points. With Fosdyke, Nelson, Ruskington Rovers and Leverton all falling victims of the weather, Westside Rangers moved up the table with their latest win. The other Rangers’ goal came from Rick Elsom.

The League’s fears over Queen’s Rangers were confirmed last week when the club was forced to withdraw from football. Their application to withdraw will be discussed by The management Committee on 12th December. Their scheduled game at Fosdyke last Saturday was therefore called off.

The big clash between Nelson and Ruskington Rovers was postponed because of the state of The Rosebery Avenue pitches. Fishtoft Reserves home match against Leverton also suffered the same fate.

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three

Tulip’s home game at Rosebery Avenue was postponed so Friskney were without a game leaving only two games in Division Three.

F.C. Hammers finally got back to winning ways with a 5-4 home win against Pointon ‘A’ with Scott Bates scoring twice. The other Hammers’ goals came from Richard Hardy, Kris Taylor and Joel Snade.

F.C. Kirton also had a fine home win when they entertained Burgh United. Goals from James White, Ben Newton, Aaron Bradshaw and Richard Early secured a 4-2 victory.

Main Ridge Take Away Reserve Cup

Fosdyke Reserves gave a good account of themselves against Division Two side, Coningsby Reserves before going out in the cruellest of fashions – the dreaded penalty shoot-out. The Division Three underdogs started strongly but couldn’t turn their pressure into goals and as Coningsby slowly woke up the contest became a more evenly balanced affair with both keepers being tested. The second half was a very scrappy event which was littered with free-kicks before Fosdyke rocked their opponents with the opening goal twenty minutes from time when a sweeping move saw Dan Pearce cross for Ryan McMeechan who fired home a left footed drive. As both teams tired in the later stages, Coningsby threw everything at Fosdyke and they finally found a breakthrough in the dying minutes when Danny Cottingham grabbed an equaliser to send the tie into extra time. Coningsby edged in front early in the first period of extra time and looked to be in control before Fosdyke substitute Craig Owen crashed home a fine shot to level the scores at 2-2 in the second period. The Coningsby keeper turned out to be their hero in the shoot-out with two fine penalty saves as the home side went through 4-2 on spot-kicks.

A hat-trick from Dave Whalley ensured there was no chance of a cup upset at Freiston Reserves where Division Three high-flyers, Spalding Harriers Reserves were the visitors. Perrie Dale struck twice while Dane Harper, Reece Coddington and an own goal saw Freiston comfortably through to the next round following an 8-0 home win.

Recent transfer capture, Tom Dickinson hit two goals for Mareham United Reserves in their 4-2 home win over Old Doningtonians Reserves. James Copsey and Przemek Zbojna also got on the scoresheet for the home side.

Kirton Town Reserves, from Division Two, had a tricky away trip at Division Three leaders, Swineshead Reserves but they squeezed through to the next round following a 3-2 victory. Gareth Clark, Chris Hilton and Declan Sands hit the all-important goals although Kirton should have added another but Declan Sands missed from the penalty spot. Swineshead were also hindered by the sending-off of Danny Prue.

Recent signing, Rory Murphy hit both goals for Spilsby Town Reserves in their 2-1 away win at Holbeach Bank Reserves. Tom Chenery replied for The Bank.

Lewis Mundt struck four goals for Benington Reserves in their 7-2 away win at Sutterton Reserves. George Crewe grabbed two goals while Jamie Dawson also scored in Benington’s comfortable away win.

Pointon Reserves called off their home tie against Wyberton Reserves on The Friday night because of a waterlogged pitch.