Swineshead through after tense fightback

Skegness players celebrate a goal against Old Doningtonians
Skegness players celebrate a goal against Old Doningtonians

Boston Division One outfit Old Doningtonians went down 4-1 to Skegness United in round two of the Lincs Junior Cup, after scoring the opening goal.

The best chance of the game came on 14 minutes when Doningtonians’ Chris Grimmer caught Ross Muirhead in procession and had a clear run at goal, but Corey Cunliffe came in with an excellent tackle to clear for a corner.

From the resulting corner, Doningtonians took the lead when centre-back Wayne Foster headed home.

Skegness drew level through Danny Reid and at half-time the sides were all-square at 1-1.

On 50 minutes, the home side had two chances to take the lead and on both occasions the ball was cleared from the goal line.

Skegness were now well on top, but they couldn’t find a way to breach the Doningtonians’ defence and break the deadlock.

With the game about to enter extra time, the visitors were reduced to 10 men following a second yellow card.

At the start of extra time Doningtonians were reduced to nine men because of an injury and all the subs being used.

Skegness used their two-man advantage to good effect, scoring three goals in extra time through Jake Portas, George Hobbins and Tom Pickett.

Old Leake put up a brave fight in their Lincolnshire Junior Cup round one home tie against Wyberton’s Lincs League outfit before bowing out 4-0.

Saturday’s clash came just a week after Leake entertained Wyberton Reserves in the Boston Premier Division and they admitted afterwards they had probably put up a better display against the stronger first team.

In an all Boston Premier Division clash, Swineshead Institute played hosts to a confident Heckington Millers side.

It proved to be a closely fought encounter, with the home side squeezing through to the next round following a 3-2 home win, but they needed to come back from two goals behind.

James Andrew, Bert Snaith and Ollie Coulham grabbed The Swineshead goals, which all came in a 20-minute spell in the second half after Millers had shocked their opponents.

Heckington went 1-0 up when a Shane Clancy cross was met by skipper Dom Kew’s head. After the break they went 2-0 up from a Casey Kemp corner which deflected into Swineshead’s net.

The visitors looked to be heading for a good away win before Swineshead launched their second half fightback to snatch victory.