Tavern Colts tipped to lift the Challenge Cup

Action from Freiston versus Old Leake in the Premier Division
Action from Freiston versus Old Leake in the Premier Division
Share this article

Target Newspapers Challenge Cup

TAVERN Colts now look the odds-on favourites to lift the Challenge Cup after they stormed into the semi-finals following a powerful performance against Benington.

Captain Ben Jacques bagged a hattrick while Daniel Maddison was on target twice in a 5-0 victory.

Maddison got Colts off the mark with the opening goal when he cut inside his defender before steering his shot into the bottom corner.

Skipper Jacques added another following a surge through the midfield ending, with a fierce shot into the roof of the net.

There was a bit of fortune about Jacques’ second goal, when he pounced after Benington keeper Ricky Lovelace had spilled the ball into his path.

Jacques completed his hat-trick as things got worse for Benington, beating the offside trap before scoring to make it 4-0 after just 30 minutes.

Maddison had the final say with Tavern’s fifth goal, slotting the ball home with his weaker foot.

WESTSIDE Rangers’ recent improvement saw them put in another fine performance – but it wasn’t enough to keep them in the cup.

Second Division Mareham United booked their place in the final four following a penalty shoot-out.

Two Tom Ruck goals meant Rangers were all-square after 90 minutes, so extra time was required.

Although Jody Betts added a third, Mareham replied to take the tie into the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

Westside’s accuracy let them down in the penalty lottery, and they went down 3-1.

GOALS from Andy Brown and Declan Sands saw Sutterton squeeze through to the last four when they recorded a 2-1 away win at Holbeach Bank.

DIVISION One side Spalding Harriers made the trip to Division Two side Tydd St Mary for this quarter-final.

They were, on paper, pre-match favourites but Harriers must have thought that it just was not going to be their day as, for the first 30 minutes it seemed to be all Spalding, with wave after wave of attacks. However, they just couldn‘t find a way through.

Goalkeeper Luke Burton saved Tydd on at least six occasions while Spalding rattled the post and saw a header from Marcin Minczynski come back off the bar and land into Burton’s arms.

Adam Pack, James Cocks, Mark Greenacre and Aaron Parker each cleared from the Tydd goalline as the home side were leading a charmed life.

Harriers just couldn’t buy a goal and then amazingly suffered a real sucker-punch when, with 20 minutes remaining of the first half, Tydd’s Mark Garner broke free and put them 1-0 up.

The second half was better for The Saints and Harriers were restricted to long range efforts.

Fifteen minutes after the restart, Pack showed good skill to beat two defenders and slot Tydd’s second past a helpless keeper.

The Saints dealt with everything Harriers threw at them and, as the full-time whistle was blown, Spalding were made to pay for all their missed chances.

Taylors Garages Premier Division

FREISTON and Old Leake shared the points in a 1-1 draw at The Danny Flear Centre, where both sides produced an evenly-contested affair.

Old Leake rocked their opponents with an early opener when the home defence failed to deal with a high ball after five minutes, Adam Tempest pouncing to head the ball home.

Freiston finally levelled the scores on the hour mark when Dean Seiner scored from a free-kick.

Both sides played some neat approach play but just couldn’t find any further breakthrough, so it finished all square at 1-1.

The game was well handled by match official Scott Daley.

KIRTON Town continued their climb up the table with a fine away win against Coningsby.

A Karl Louth left-footed shot opened the scoring – which not only surprised the home team but his team mates as well.

A second goal before half time was firmly executed by Richard Barker, after some good play from winger Chris Hilton.

After the break, Hilton won a penalty after a meandering run into the Coningsby penalty area, where he was taken down.

He coolly slotted home the spot kick himself to make it 3-0.

SPILSBY Town had to fight back from 2-0 down before taking maximum points in their home match against Woodhall Spa United.

The visitors certainly shook their opponents into action with those two early body blows before Spilsby finally found a way through from the penalty spot when Dan Smith slotted home from 12 yards.

It was Smith who brought the scores level with 20 minutes remaining, before a repeat performance from super-sub Jordan Wood again did the trick.

After his late equalising strike, again after entering the action from the bench seven days earlier against Wyberton, the diminutive forward came on to fire home the winning goal.

THE match between Wyberton and Old Doningtonians was called off on Saturday when the referee ruled that the pitch wasn’t quite fit enough.

Taylors Peugeot Division One

WITH The Challenge Cup taking centre stage on Saturday, there was only one game in Division One, and that saw Fishtoft’s recent slump continue with a 4-2 home defeat at the hands of Spalding Town.

Taylors Ford Division Two

PAUL Vaughan and Nicky Syndercombe both scored twice for Boston United Community in their 5-1 home win against Coningsby Reserves – and the win helps keep them looking favourites for promotion.

James Fairweather grabbed the other Community strike.

SPALDING Town Reserves and Pointon Reserves produced a seven-goal thriller, where two goals from Jamie Juckes helped settle the outcome.

The tall striker’s double helped his side to a 4-3 victory over a battling Pointon side.

Chris Page and James Kingston were also on target for the Spalding side.

FRISKNEY conceded a goal 20 minutes from time in their home match against Skegness Town A.

The lone strike from Craig Booth proved to be the winning goal.

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three

THE result of the day in Division Three belonged to FC Hammers, who produced an excellent performance against high-flying Spalding Harriers Reserves to record only their second victory of the season.

Both sides produced an evenly-matched opening with chances at either end before The Hammers struck first with a goal from the penalty spot, converted by Ricky Damms.

The home side’s joy was short-lived, as Spalding responded a minute later with a fine header from a corner.

The second half started well for The Hammers and after some sustained early pressure they regained the lead when Kristian Taylor beat two defenders down the flank before crossing for Luke Milne to stroke home.

Taylor then grabbed the third goal when his 30-yard free kick flew into the net.

The visitors made a tactical change and it had an instant effect as they reduced the arrears to 3-2, the Hammers having to survive a nervy finale to the game. Spalding’s goals came from Alex Watson and Luke Chilvers.

AN ANDY Barnett strike was not enough to earn any reward for Old Doningtons Reserves.

The veteran utility player fired home a shot with his lesser favoured standing foot but visitors, FC Kirton were not to be denied and they replied five times at the other end to run out 5-1 winners.

BRUNO Jose struck twice for Mareham United Reserves in their 5-1 home win against lowly Holbeach Bank Reserves, and those two goals helped keep Mareham firmly on top of the table.

Tom Sewell, James Todd and Nicky Burgess also got on the score sheet.

IN A hastily re-arranged fixture, Park United returned home from Graves Park with maximum points following a 3-1 away win against Kirton Town Reserves.

Chris Wright, Neil Allen and Alex Limb did the damage with the match-winning goals while Kirton’s goal came via Liam Wilson’s penalty.

Main Ridge Take Away Reserve Cup

BILLINGHAY Athletic Reserves, from Division Two, easily brushed aside the brave challenge of Third Division Woodhall Spa United Reserves in this semi-final clash.

Simon Burrows and Glen Long both scored twice in a 7-0 victory.

The tie was switched to Woodhall’s ground after the Billinghay pitch was deemed unfit, but the change of venue did little to upset the eventual winners.

Thomas Moor, Jasper Caudwell and Brad Munton completed the scoring for Billinghay.

l THE other semi-final tie was postponed on Friday as Wyberton declared that only one of their pitches was fit, and their first team’s fixture took priority.

Underdogs Freiston Reserves will now have to make the journey to The Causeway on the next available Saturday.