Tavern enjoy life in the top flight

Aston Chase failed to convert a Freiston penalty.
Aston Chase failed to convert a Freiston penalty.

TAVERN Colts markes their arrival in the Boston Saturday Football League by scoring eight goals.

Taylors Garages

Premier Division

FREISTON couldn’t have asked for a worse start after receiving an 8-1 home drubbing at the hands of newly-promoted Tavern Colts.

Tavern crashed in four goals in each half to spring such an unexpected opening day surprise.

After taking an early lead, Tavern took control and were 4-0 in front by half time, although Freiston’s cause wasn’t helped by a red card to Dean Seiner following a handball decision – made doubly painful for the home side as a penalty was also awarded for the incident.

Tavern didn’t let up after the break and they soon increased their lead before Mark Lovelace finally reduced the arrears at 5-1.

Freiston’s woes continued when Aston Chase missed a penalty and they squandered further chances.

At the other end, Tavern proved deadly in front of goal with three more strikes to run out 8-1 winners.

Tavern striker Daniel White grabbed a hat-trick, while his partner, Danny Maddison hit two goals.

Skipper, Ben Jacques also helped himself to two goals while John Vousden completed the scoring.

SPILSBY Town felt they should have earned more than a point in their 3-3 draw at home against Wyberton, but in the end it took a last-gasp equaliser from Pete Sampson to save the day.

Spilsby dominated the first half and were rewarded with the opening goal from Dan Tuplin, but several chances went begging and at the interval they still only led by that solitary goal.

Wyberton rocked the home side after the break with two goals from Adam Abell to edge in front before Graham Blades levelled the scores at 2-2.

Town continued in a charitable mood at the back as they let the visitors get their noses back in front to lead 3-2 as Abell completed his hat-trick, and with time running out their seemed no way back for the home side.

Sampson had different ideas however, much to the relief of the Spilsby camp with that late, late strike.

Wyberton’s Abell, a regular scorer for the reserve side during the last few season, grabbed his chance of first team action with both hands.

Taylors Peugeot

Division One

NEWLY-promoted Mareham United have been working overtime during the close-season following a mass exodus of players which threatened the survival of their reserve side.

Luckily, the club do not have two games on the same day until September 10, and this period gives club officials breathing space in their search for more players.

At least they managed to scrape a point in a 3-3 home draw against Fishtoft, with Nicky Spiller grabbing two of his side’s goals.

New signing Bradley Newstead also got on the scoresheet for Mareham.

Fishtoft earned their away point with goals from Adam Vinters, Leon Pycock and Declan Wilson.

WAINFLEET United enjoyed a thoroughly satisfying opening day with a 5-2 home win against Spalding Harriers.

Karl Minor struck twice while Matt Broome added another before the break to lead 3-1.

Further goals from Michael Parnham and Bob Jackson secured a comfortable victory.

Man of the match for the home side was Tom Jenkins, who was instrumental throughout.

Taylors Ford

Division Two

FREISTON Reserves, who are newly-promoted, were up against one of the league’s new sides, Tavern Colts Reserves, and the honours were shared following a 3-3 draw.

Lee Waters, Lucky Singh and Perrie Dale were all on target for Freiston, while Tavern replied through Adam Crich, Shane Brown and Alex Cammack.

WRANGLE United marked their return to the Boston Saturday League with a 6-1 home win against FC Kirton.

The home side started brightly and Kirton had to battle well to remain in the game.

They did so quite effectively, restricting their opponents to only a few clear-cut opportunities, but then as the first half wore on Wrangle finally broke the deadlock when Tom Hill nipped in front of the Kirton keeper before turning to slot the ball home.

Soon afterwards it was 2-0 when Sam Duff dived at full stretch to head home at the far post.

In the second half Wrangle increased the pressure and they went further ahead when Ashley Murrell produced a fine finish before eclipsing that effort with an even more impressive strike when he unleashed a 25-yard missile of a shot to make it 4-0.

Kirton managed to reduce the arrears from the penalty spot before substitute Tom Martin got in on the act with a superb solo effort.

Joe Pitcher completed the scoring right on the final whistle with a header at the far post

Kirton have endured an unsettling close-season in the transfer window, with no less than six players leaving the club and two coming in.

THERE were plenty of goals at Fishtoft Reserves, where the home side scored four goals but still managed to be on the losing side.

Westside Rangers, relegated from Division One, wasted no time in revealing their intentions on a quick return with six replies to run out 6-4 winners.

The Fishtoft goals came from Joe Wood (two), Glen Hislop and Diogo Garcia.

The visitors’ goals came from James Leafe (two), Michael Langley (two), James Norris and Jody Betts

Taylors Vauxhall

Division Three

FRISKNEY got off to a blistering start in their home game against Spalding Harriers Reserves, with an opening goal after just 90 seconds when Lee Bradley scored.

The Spalding side then ruined Friskney’s day with a late leveller when they scored with a 25-yard free-kick with just six minutes remaining.

The home side still had time to go close to snatching back victory as Jed Stainton and Oliver Howard missed chances.

FC Hammers recorded a fine victory on the opening day with a slender 2-1 home win against Queen’s Rangers.

The Hammers had to survive Queen’s physical approach before grinding out their narrow victory.

All the goals came during the first half, with Matthew Wilkinson and Ed McCafferty edging their side in front at the interval.

The Queen replied through Shane Brackenbury.

SWINESHEAD Reserves and Kirton Town Reserves kicked off at 12.45 to allow for the first team’s Lincs League game against Lincoln United Reserves to take place straight afterwards, but the early start didn’t unsettle either side as they produced a very tight encounter which could have gone either way.

After a goal-less first half, Swineshead snatched victory when Guy Mantle fastened onto a loose ball before finishing in style to claim the winner.