Town and out as Vase run is ended at home

Boston Saturday 19 November 2011'Football. Boston Town v Gornal in FA Vase'Action Shots
Boston Saturday 19 November 2011'Football. Boston Town v Gornal in FA Vase'Action Shots

FA Vase

Boston Town 0

Gornal Athletic 3

THE Poachers suffered an exit from the FA Vase at the expense of Gornal Thletic.

The Birmingham-based side have been in good form of late and it showed as they left Tattershall Road with their name in round three’s draw.

Despite a promising start, the Poachers were knocked back by an early goal from the visitors.

A goal from Marvin Nissbett followed a slight hesitation in the Boston defence, who waited for a perceived whistle after they believed the striker had caught Michael Wood.

But the referee was not convinced, and Nissbett put the visitors ahead after only five minutes.

Boston pushed on for the equaliser, but they could not breach the firm Gornal defence.

They did come close on a few occasions and frustration mounted both on and off the pitch as at least two strong penalty shouts were waved away.

At the half time break, with the visitors 0-1 ahead, the Poachers knew they had a game on their hands if they wanted to progress any further in this competition.

When they resumed the second half they did put great pressure on the Gornal defence, but a mixture of very good defensive play and over use of the referee’s whistle every time any physical tussle occurred, kept the home side a goal behind.

In the 63rd minute an accidental clash of heads resulted in Alex Beck leaving the match bound for hospital.

He was replaced by Micky Nuttell.

For the next 10 minutes the Poachers were in the driving seat and it looked as if it was only a matter of time before they drew level.

But as has often happened this season, a minor lapse of concentration has been cruelly punished.

Gornal were awarded a free kick near the side lines.

With no Boston player near the ball a quickly taken kick was crossed into the box and Michael Perks’ shot found the back of the net.

The Poachers tried to mount a recovery, with Gary Bull and Callum Stocks entering the game as substitutes for Billy King and Lori Borbely.

But they were unable to make headway and the game was over when Richard Young fired a shot from the edge of the box and beat keeper Chris Wright.

TOWN: Wright, Clancy, Smith, Wood, Pinner, Oswin, Beck (Nuttell), King (Bull), Matson, Parker, Borbely; Subs: Vince, Stocks, Marson.

l ON SATURDAY, Town are away at Desborough (KO 3pm).

l TOWN were in Lincs senior Trophy action against rivals Holbeach United last night.

For a report log onto