Underdogs show their teeth in the Willoughby Cup

Swineshead's Matt Sharman goes to ground during his side's cup defeat to Coningsby. To buy this picture log on to www.photostoday.co.uk
Swineshead's Matt Sharman goes to ground during his side's cup defeat to Coningsby. To buy this picture log on to www.photostoday.co.uk

THE cup underdogs flexed their muscles in the Boston and District Saturday League, but to little avail...

Barclays Brokers Willoughby Cup

ALTHOUGH there were no upsets in the first round of the Willoughby Cup, there were some admirable performances from some of the unfancied minnows.

Doing themselves proud were Park United, Wainfleet United and Fosdyke, who were narrowly edged out of the competition by Premier opposition.

Park United, from Division Three, put up a brave display at Skegness Town Reserves before bowing out 3-2.

Skegness scored through Elliott Clark, who grabbed a double, while Josh Whittam also got on the score sheet.

Park went close to forcing extra time with goals from Tom Waterson and Neil Allen.

OLD Doningtonians just managed to edge out a spirited Fishtoft side 4-2.

Chris Wing opened the scoring for the Dons from the penalty spot before the visitors levelled the scores.

Fishtoft rocked the home side by taking the lead before the interval and suddenly Old Dons knew they had a fight on their hands.

Amazingly it was another Chris Wing penalty which got the Premier side back on level terms, and the devastating blow must have demoralised the Fishtoft camp. There was no arguments about the third goal, however, as Chris Wing completed his hat-trick with a superb individual effort before Aiden Moore made it 4-2 with a close range finish.

Fishtoft’s goals came from Carl Tate and Grant Butler.

PREMIER leaders Old Leake were given a tough test on their own patch by first division Wainfleet United.

Greg Brown opened the scoring for Old Leake from a free-kick and Simon Hippisley added another before the break, following a surging run from deep and a fine finish.

Wainfleet never gave up in the second half and they were rewarded for their efforts with a Michael Parnham goal late on to give them a glimmer of hope, but Old Leake held out to go through to the next round.

FOSDYKE battled hard at Freiston and, although the Premier side were on top for long periods, the underdogs were always in the game.

The home side started brightly enough but for all their possession, they couldn’t find a breakthrough and it was Fosdyke who showed them the way with the opening goal after.

The Division Two side then defended admirably for the remainder of the half to preserve their interval lead.

Fosdyke couldn’t hold onto their lead for long in the second half as Lee Dakin levelled the scores and soon after an unfortunate own goal edged Freiston in front for what proved to be the winning goal.

KIRTON faced a potential banana skin when they entertained Division Two promotion seekers Mareham United at Graves Park.

The Premier side proved too strong for the visitors, however, and they dominated the match throughout.

Kirton went ahead through a Richard Barker goal, swiftly followed by a close-range shot from Josh Smith.

A Cliff Langham header then put the game beyond Mareham’s reach to make the half time score 3-0.

After the break Kirton continued on top and they added two more goals from in-form striker Barker, giving him his hat-trick, and a late effort from Martin Durrant completed the scoring at 6-0.

TWO goals from Jamie Khun helped Wyberton ease through to the next round when they defeated Spilsby Town at home 4-2.

Jim Britton and Connor Trigg grabbed the other goals for the home side as they progressed.

Taylors Peugeot Division One

TAVERN Colts went goal-crazy at Wyberton Reserves, scoring nine times without reply to record a fantastic 9-0 away win.

Daniel White grabbed a hat-trick while all the other goals came from individual scorers – Ben Jacques, Dale Crich, John Vousden, Daniel Maddison, Nicky De Vries and Jordan Favell.

MICKEY Nuttell and Jack Carter both scored twice in Boston Town Old Boys’ 7-2 home win against Billinghay Athletic Reserves.

Mark Wakefield, Paul Chester and Alex Tilley grabbed the other Town goals.

HOLBEACH Bank opened the scoring after just three minutes of their home encounter against Sutterton, but the visitors were level within five minutes when Sergio Roquetti was tripped in the box and Andy Brown fired home the spot kick.

Sutterton continued in control for the remainder of the first half, but despite Nigel Edison striking the underside of the bar, they couldn’t get their noses in front.

The Bank then rocked their opponents five minutes before the break when, following a counter-attack, they made it 2-1.

And it could have been worse for Sutterton shortly afterwards when their keeper collided with a home player and the referee pointed to the spot.

Thankfully for Sutterton, Scott Williams kept out the penalty with a save with his feet.

Holbeach were left to regret their costly miss in the second half as Mark Blissett’s Sutterton side took full advantage.

The visitors were level after 55 minutes when James Bruns broke down the right flank before coolly slotting the ball under the advancing Bank goalkeeper.

The rampant Sutterton side were ahead two minutes later following Sergio Roquetti’s superbly-executed chip over the helpless keeper, from what looked like a seemingly impossible angle.

With nothing to lose, Holbeach threw men forward in an attempt to get back in the game but Sutterton exploited the space at the back to grab a fourth when Brown netted his second goal.

Taylors Ford Division Two

LEADERS Boston United Community were held to a 2-2 draw at Spalding Town Reserves.

Chris Page and Tom Cherry hit the goals for the Spalding side.

FRISKNEY put up a brave fight at Pointon Reserves before eventually going down 2-0.

The visitors trailed to a Simon Long goal for much of the game before a late George Sharp strike finally killed off Friskney’s hopes.

CONINGSBY Reserves also gave a spirited performance at home against Benington, before ending up empty-handed.

Coningsby pushed their opponents all the way with goals from Jamie Beamish and Richard Lamb.

But Benington took the points with three replies of their own to run out 3-2 winners thanks to Tom Baxter’s brace and solitary Gavin Bell strike.

SKEGNESS Town A scored three goals at Fishtoft Reserves, but still found themselves on the wrong end of a 4-3 score-line.

Ben Evison hit two while Max Foreman also got on the scoresheet for Skegness.

But it wasn’t enough as Fishtoft took the three points with four of their own through Andrew Webster, Martin Jolly, Shane Brackenbury and an own goal.

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three

FC HAMMERS were brought back down to earth with a mighty bump when they were steam-rollered by leaders Mareham United Reserves who triumped 12-1.

After the previous week’s fine victory, the Hammers were never in the contest as Mareham showed why they are favourites for the title.

Just four players managed to score all 12 goals – Nicky Spiller grabbed four while there were hat-tricks for Bruno Jose and Chris Barnes.

The other two goals came from Lukasz Sudol.

The Hammers consolation goal came from Luke Milne.

Fixtures for January 29:

Taylors Garages Premier Division (KO 2pm): Old Leake v Freiston (I. Ruddock), Skegness Res v Kirton Tn (R. Crozier), Spilsby v Swineshead (M. Winwright).

Taylors Peugeot Division One: Holbeach Bank v Wyberton Reserves (R. Larcombe), Westside Rangers v Sutterton (N. Sleaford).

Taylors Ford Division Two: Fishtoft Reserves v Friskney (N. Woodward), Fosdyke v Kirton Leisure (P. Revell), Mareham United v Boston United Community (S. Daley), Pointon Reserves v Benington (S. Ault), Skegness Town A v Spalding Town Res (T. Taupin).

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three: Park United v FC Kirton (J. Fairweather), Spalding Harriers Reserves v Kirton Town Reserves (J. Truman).

Sharman Burgess Sports Cup, round three (KO 1.30pm): Coningsby v Fishtoft (C. Reeson), Pointon v Spalding Harriers (D. Tutty), Spalding Town v Tavern (T. Basker), Wyberton v Wainfleet (C. Wade).

Spalding Inter-Services Trophy, semi-finals (KO 1.45pm): Long Sutton Athletic v Tydd St Mary (J. Mowatt), Old Doningtonians v Holbeach United Reserves (P. Parkin).