“Unfinished business!” Manager Nathan Collins returns to Boston Town with his eye on pushing the Poachers back up the table

Nathan Collins.
Nathan Collins.

Nathan Collins has returned to Boston Town for a second stint as manager - stating he’s still got ‘unfinished business’ with the Poachers.

Collins agreed to re-take the reins at the DWB Stadium this week after leaving in 2014 due to back problems which hindered his commute to the club from his Grimsby home.

But after undergoing keyhole surgery to correct the problem, Collins - a former Town midfielder in his playing days - is eager to return to action.

“It’s good to be back. I’ve got unfinished business there,” he told The Standard.

“There’s still the core of players that I brought in there, so it’s not like it’s a blank canvas and we’ve got to start all over.

“I know there are good quality players there.”

Collins will be assisted in the dug-out by former Barton Town and Spalding United boss Alex Irvine and Jason Callaby, who moved into the managerial role for the second half of last season after Mark Angel stepped down from the role.

Lori Borbely will take on the role of player-coach.

Collins says his main aim to improve upon last season’s league placing, which saw the Poachers end the UCL Premier campaign in 16th spot.

“I’ve turned down a couple of really good offers to come back here,” Collins added.

“I feel like I’ve still got a job to complete with Boston Town.

“I’ve not enjoyed looking at the league table and seeing them in the lower reaches.

“We’ve still got a lot of work to do on the pitch and behind the scenes, but I want us all to work together and then hopefully we can play some nice football and get back up the league table.”

Former Boston Town keeper Callum Bastock was popping the champagne at Wembley on Sunday as part of the Grimsby Town squad which secured promotion to the Football League.

The young keeper - the son of former Boston United all-time appearance record holder Paul - is currently sidelined due to injury.

But he watched from the stands as the Mariners defeated Forest Green Rovers 3-1 to win the National League play-off final.