Up for the cup! Coningsby and Wrangle lift Boston Saturday League silverware

Coningsby celebrate.
Coningsby celebrate.

CONINGSBY lifted the Willoughby Shield, while Wrangle made history in the Sports Cup...

Barclays Brokers Willoughby Shield

DIVISION Two side Coningsby Reserves defeated Swineshead Institute Reserves, from Division Three, 3-2 to lift the Willoughby Shield.

In a great advert for the Boston league, the two teams produced two early goals to set the tone of an absorbing match.

Swineshead struck first after just three minutes, Benn Houghton bursting clear before smashing into the roof of the net.

Coningsby drew level five minutes later when Jamie McFee pulled the ball back for striker Sam Brader, who teed himself up before firing into the bottom right-hand corner.

Brader went close midway through the first half when Swineshead keeper Scott Williams brought down the evergreen James Todd in full flight just outside the box.

Brader got up to fire in a shot which just cleared the crossbar.

Williams received a yellow card for his sins from referee Rod Crozier.

It was Todd again who was belying his 38 years with gritty determination to go agonisingly close when he shrugged off two defenders, before dragging his shot wide of the post.

At the other end, Richard Ford went close on the half-hour mark when he drove in a left-footed shot which Coningsby keeper Andy Yeomans gratefully caught just under the bar.

There was still time for another clear-cut chance when Sam Brader broke through, but Williams pulled off a superb one-handed save to deny the striker his second goal.

Swineshead almost regained the lead 10 minutes into the second half when Harry Houghton fastened onto a superb through pass, but the striker dragged his shot wide.

Coningsby went 2-1 ahead after 70 minutes when a left-wing cross was not dealt with by the Swineshead defence, and Jamie McFee drove home from close range.

It could have been three moments later when Todd fastened onto a misdirected header, but he was again denied by the diving Williams

From the resulting corner, Coningsby’s central defender Daniel Jones lifted his shot over the bar.

Coningsby were not to be denied for long, however, as they made it 3-1 on 75 minutes.

Todd ‘s cross from the left flank presented Sam Brader with the chance to force the ball home.

Swineshead responded instantly and Benn Houghton sent a shot crashing into the ground and just past the post.

But it was a bizarre own goal which gave them a glimmer of hope five minutes from time when Coningsby left back Danny Whitworth diverted a threatening ball over Yeomans’ head.

Boston league vice-president Tony Appleby presented the trophies, while Daniel Jones was named Man of the Match.

Sharman Burgess Sports Cup

DIVISION Two Champions, Wrangle United caused a major upset in the Sharman Burgess Sports Cup Final - by becoming the first side from the third tier to lift the trophy.

A real derby affair saw them get the better of Premier League Old Leake, winning 2-1.

The result was well-deserved as Wrangle showed what an excellent outfit they are and, on this form, will surely be looking for back-to-back promotions next season to gain their spot back in the Premier Division.

The underdogs took the game to their opponents from the off and Old Leake had problems getting out of their own half during the first half hour.

Wrangle opened the scoring after 10 minutes, when a defence-splitting through ball sent the hard-working Ashley Murrell clear on goal, and his shot squeezed past the keeper.

It was 2-0 five minutes later when Murrell was pulled down in the penalty area.

Referee Chris Reeson pointed to the spot after eagle-eyed assistant Terry Knott spotted the blind-side offence, and Chris Shipley strode up to fire home the spot-kick.

The derby encounter was fiercely competitive on all areas of the pitch and the referee was kept busy throughout.

Old Leake had a golden chance after 20 minutes to get back into the game when, following a mix-up between defender and goalkeeper, the ball squirmed its way out to Adam Wright, just outside the penalty area.

But he elected for power over placement and hastily fired over.

A bizarre handball incident gave Old Leake a way back into the game on the half hour mark.

As a right-wing corner came over to the far post, the tall figure of Dan Anderson misjudged the ball and inexplicably stuck a hand up to prevent it finding an opponent.

Leake striker Scott MacKay stepped forward to slot home the spot-kick.

Old Leake were coming more into the game and a superb volleyed cross form the left wing was lifted over the crossbar by Kieran Stocks two minutes before the break.

As expected, the second half couldn’t possibly live up to the first period as the two sides toiled more in a midfield battle.

Chris Shipley was fortunate to remain on the pitch five minutes into the second half when he lunged in at goalkeeper Mitch Griffiths, but referee Reeson adopted the sensible approach by letting the culprit off with a warning.

Adam Tempest went close for Old Leake shortly afterwards when his jinking run was followed by a decent shot which just cleared the crossbar.

At the other end, Murrell fired in a shot which was deflected round the post for a corner after great work from the lively Tom Martin.

The game petered out as the second half wore on, although substitute, Dom Cridland almost earned extra time for Old Leake when his shot clipped the top of the bar.

Pete Sharman, of the cup sponsors, was on hand after the game to present the trophies to the players and match officials.

The Man of the Match was awarded to the industrious Murrell.

Taylors Garages Premier Division

WITH The Premier Division title securely in the trophy cabinet, Tavern Colts brought a little light-heartedness to their final game of the season in their midweek match at Graves Park.

The ever popular pick-a-position-out-of-a-hat team selection is often preferred by many clubs as their season draws to a close.

And Tavern elected to do the very same against Kirton Town, still winning 5-2.

Strikers Daniel White and Curtis Yeatman found themselves performing in defence and goalkeeper Peter Cook was dancing down the right wing.

Unbelievably, it was Cook who opened the scoring when John Vousden’s effort rebounded to him.

Grant Butler made it 2-0 when he ran through the Kirton rearguard.

Kirton pulled a goal back through Andrew Baker’s fine 20-yard strike.

In the second half, Tavern increased their lead following Vousden’s finish, before manager Gary Frost’s inspired substitution saw his assistant, Billy Maddison enter the action - and he grabbed a brace.

Magical Maddison’s first was a cool finish after rounding the keeper, and his second was an individual effort.

Kirton’s consolation was probably the best goal of the game, when Martin Durrant left three Tavern players flailing before unleashing an unstoppable shot past the reliable Tyrone Chase.

KIRTON made amends two days later when they finished their season on a high by winning 5-3 against Skegness Town Reserves.

Skegness went close with goals from Donovan Vickers, Josh Clarke and Callum Pearce.

FREISTON’S disappointing season ended with an 8-1 drubbing at the hands of Billinghay Athletic at the Danny Flear Centre.

Jack Titchmarsh grabbed the consolation goal for the home side.

Taylors Peugeot Division Two

THE Billinghay Reserves and Fishtoft debacle was discussed at Wednesday’s monthly management meeting, after neither side could agree on a replacement referee when the official failed to show up.

So the failure of both sides to agree on a stand-in referee cost them a fine of £25 each, with no re-arrangement of the fixture.

Luckily, for Fishtoft they wrapped up the runners-up spot last Saturday with a 2-1 home win against Spalding Harriers.