Wyberton and Swineshead are crowned cup champions

Wyberton celebrate their success.
Wyberton celebrate their success.

Swineshead and Wyberton both finished their seasons by lifting trophies.

The two Boston Saturday League Premier Division highflyers both ended their campaigns with something to cheer - Swineshead winning the Sharman Burgess Sports Cup and Wyberton hoisting the BB INsure Willoughby Cup aloft.

The Tutes beat Benington 3-1 at Boston Town’s DWB Stadium on Thursday night.

Swineshead, the favourites, deservedly lifted the trophy although their Premier Division rivals played their part in this closely-fought encounter, which saw all the goals arrive in the second half.

An early goal in the second half put Swineshead in front when a right-wing corner was not dealt with and the ball was diverted into the net off an unfortunate defender.

Benington showed their mettle by getting back on level terms within minutes when, following a trip on Lewis Mundt in the box, referee Paul Revell pointed to the spot and Matthew Howard stepped up to fire home the spot-kick into the top left-hand corner.

Swineshead took control and minutes later they were back in front when a delightful ball over the right back was fastened onto by the raiding Paul Clarke, and he tucked away his shot past the advancing keeper.

It was Swineshead who added a third with 15 minutes remaining.

Jack Houghton charged through and, although keeper Will Newton got there first, he only managed to blast his clearance into the Swineshead striker and the ball ricocheted into the net for a rather fortunate clincher.

Andrew Pears, managing director of Sharman Burgess, presented the cup and individual trophies, including the man-of-the-match award to Swineshead defender James Andrews.

There was to be no giant-killing in the BB Insure Willoughby Cup Final as Premier Division champions Wyberton overcame a spirited challenge from their Division One opponents Woodhall Spa United at the DWB Stadium on Saturday, winning 3-2.

Ben Jaques swept the ball home to give his side the lead just before the half-hour mark.

Woodhall Spa skipper Jason Cooke converted a low cross from Callum Cheetham to level five minutes into the second half, but Wyberton regained the lead in the 67th minute as Curtis Revell clipped the ball over advancing keeper Andrew Money.

Curtis Yeatman extended the lead before Spa’s Chris Holland powered home a headed consolation.

Competition vice-president David Peatling handed out the trophies, as well as the man-of-the-match award to Wyberton’s Yeatman.