Wyberton leave Grimsby Borough with the points as two see red

Curtis Revell.
Curtis Revell.

Nicky Frost and Curtis Revell were on target as Wyberton left Grimsby Borough Reserves with a 2-0 victory on Saturday.

Revell converted from the penalty spot before receiving his marching orders as both sides ended the game with 10 men.

The Colts player reacted after being fouled, claiming his opposite number kicked out at him.

“No complaints about the sending off as you can’t do what Curt did,” manager Joe Greswell said.

“I didn’t see it but I’m convinced the lad did kick out at Curt and I’ve never seen him react how he did today.

“He is used to getting tackled due to the way he plays, but as I say it’s the first time in three years I’ve seen him react how he did today.

“He apologised to the lads as he misses some big games now, but that’s football.”

The first half saw both sides make errors, but Greswell was willing to blame the conditions.

He added: “I’ve never felt cold like it today. I felt for the 22 lads who where playing out there today.

“With the conditions you couldn’t really have a go about a misplaced passes.

“Saying that, I felt in the first half we were lucky to go 1-0 up.

“Grimsby were a young side and, to my surprise, they loved a tackle. There’s nothing wrong with that, I was just unhappy we didn’t match them and were losing a lot of 50-50s.

“(In the) second half that changed and we bossed the game.”

The first half was all about who could adapt best to the windy conditions.

Grimsby were the better side in the first half, even though Wyberton went in at half time 1-0 up Frost volleying home following a move involving keeper James Doughty, Ben Jaques, Jamie Elston and James Gordon.

Borough felt they should have had a penalty when Doughty was adjudged to have brought the Grimsby forward down, but the referee ruled the player went down too easily.

After the break Wyberton controlled the game.

The Colts created some good chances but found the home keeper in form.

Wyberton’s second goal come from the spot.

Captain Grant Butler was thrown down to the ground from a Wyberton corner and Revell made sure that Wyberton went home with all three points.

There was still time for more drama as Revell received his marching orders in the 70th minute.

Grimsby also finished the game with 10 men as a player picked up a second booking with 10 minutes to go.

Wyberton host Horncastle on Saturday (KO 2pm).