An up and down weekend for G&S

editorial image
Share this article

Kevin Van Leuven secured another points finish when he rode to 14th place at Thruxton in round seven of the National Superstock 600 on Sunday - but G&S Racing’s two Superstock 1000 riders were unable to contest their race after it was found there was a breach of the technical regulations.

Once again the Dutch rider, who represents the Wyberton-based team, had the difficult task of learning his way around another new circuit.

Van Leuven (pictured) threw himself into free practice and qualifying to start the 14-lap race from a fifth-row grid position.

After a poor start which left him down in 19th place, he settled into his race and began to mount an assault on the riders ahead and was circulating at the same pace as the top six.

He made progress through to 17th place on lap nine and was embroiled in a battle for position within a large group of riders.

Everything came to a head on the penultimate lap when Kevin made his move and he shot past Charlie King and Benjamin Currie to move up into 14th which he held on the drag to the flag to claim another two championship points to take his total to 32 which moves him to 12th in the rider standings.

Dominic Usher and Tom Fisher made good progress in the Superstock 1000 in in free practice and qualifying, with Usher taking eighth and Fisher 28th place.

Both riders were looking promising for the race but a post-qualifying inspection discovered the Engine Control Unit was inadvertently switched off and they were excluded from taking part in the race.

Team manager Mark Fisher said: “We turned the ECU off both the bikes for the North West 200 and TT road races and, unfortunately, I omitted to turn it back on again.

“There is a new computer system in place at BSB to check the bikes conform to the regulations and I am fully in favour of this.

“After qualifying Dominic’s bike was pulled in for a routine check and this is when they discovered the ECU was not working.

“As soon as this was brought to my attention I realised what had happened and told them the other bike would be the same. Both bikes then went for further investigation and no performance enhancement was found so although we broke the rules we did not gain an advantage.

“It is entirely my fault and I unreservedly apologise to the team sponsors and the two riders who were bitterly disappointed to be unable to race today.”

The next round is at Oulton Park this weekend.