Boston at the double for high-scoring hockey club

Action from Boston Seconds' convincing victory over Spalding
Action from Boston Seconds' convincing victory over Spalding

BOSTON Hockey Club’s men’s teams recorded two high-scoring successes at the weekend.

Bourne 2nds 0

Boston Firsts handed out a 6-0 drubbing to basement team Bourne at Rosebery Avenue on Saturday.

The Firsts struggled to make any sort of impact in the first 20 minutes of their Division 4NW clash – with Bourne having the better of the opening exchanges.

But after a couple of shots at goal were comfortably dealt with by goalkeeper Jack Ashton, Boston broke the deadlock.

Tim Humphrey swept home from close range after Mark Baxter’s short corner effort to put Boston in control.

This gave Boston a much-needed boost as they had struggled to get out of first gear, and as the confidence started to grow, their play improved.

In fact, that impact was such that they doubled their lead within two minutes when Richard Whitman smashed home after a flowing move on the right hand flank.

Boston were now coasting and playing some decent hockey.

They had some near misses before Simon Higgs was allowed time and space to run in from the right wing and despatch the ball home from a narrow angle, making it 3-0 at the interval.

After the break, Boston’s good form continued as they kept pressing for more goals.

Bourne defended very well and effectively but their stubborn resistance was finally broken after 11 minutes had elapsed of the second half, Baxter scoring with a fine strike after a good save by the Bourne goalkeeper.

Barely a minute later, Anthony Gardner scored the goal of the game with a fantastic dribble that had three defenders at sixes and sevens, before he rounded the goalkeeper to slot the ball home.

Bourne very nearly pulled a couple of consolation goals back but Jim Bonner and Dean Newell had the final say with two goal-line clearances.

The Bourne goalkeeper made some superb saves to keep Boston from scoring further goals, however Boston’s very own Ashton made a fine penalty stroke save.

It was harsh on the Bourne side that they failed to get on the scoresheet as they continued to press, but it wasn’t to be their day.

To compound matters further for the travelling side, Ian Sanderson picked up yet another rebound to slot home with just four minutes of the game remaining.

Boston finished up comfortable winners, matching the result that they had at the very start of the season when they travelled to Bourne.

The Firsts next game is away to St Ives Thirds.

Boston 2nds 10

Spalding 4ths 3

A DEPLETED Boston Seconds turned on the style at they landed a 10-goal haul at the expense of Spalding Fourths.

Boston lost centre back Matt Wingate with a suspected broken finger after just 10 minutes and, facing a side who started the contest just a single point behind them in NE14 Hockey Division 6NW suggested this could be a tight contest.

But when he went off, Boston were two goals to the good as they came out the blocks flying, Jamie Birks finnding the net twice early on.

The first goal was a slightly scrambled affair as Boston built well from midfield and the ball ended at Jamie’s feet, where he made no mistake from close range.

The second goal was more direct as Andy Barlow was given the freedom of the D before he picked out the forward for his second.

After the enforced substitution Boston had to regroup and regain their shape, but that didn’t take long at all as they drove up field and secured a short corner.

Barlow’s initial shot was blocked by a defender’s leg, but his follow-up effort neatly found the left hand corner for 3-0.

Thirty seconds later and the hosts were four up.

Spalding broke forward straight after the restart but were blocked, with the ball finding Barlow.

His pass found Birks, who tore forward down the wing before completing an 11-minute hat-trick.

Boston were then guilty of letting their guard down as sloppy defending allowed Spalding to reduce the arrears.

But Boston responded as they grabbed their fifth – and Birks’ fourth – with a move that owed much to the youngsters who had risen from the junior ranks.

James Tointon, Callum Sims and Olly Jacobs played some sublime passes before Barlow linked up with Birks, who beat the keeper yet again.

Youngsters Joel Dowson and Jack Bain, both in their debut season with the seconds, played with a maturity and understanding.

Boston’s sixth goal arrived two minutes before the break as Andy Stone finished off a move which came from Nick Randall breaking up play in the middle of the park.

His pass found Callum Sims, who had the foresight to come in from right wing and, after his initial shot was saved, he set up veteran Stone who placed the ball in the unguarded goal.

After the interval, Boston added their seventh thanks to Stone, slotting home from close range after excellent build-up play involving Clive Green and Dowson.

Soft defending allowed Spalding to pull a goal back, but Birks got his fifth of the game with another composed finish after fine build-up play again involving Nick Randall and Henry Betts.

Spalding nearly pulled a goal back after a good move on their part but Tony Pygott’s diving effort towards the goal saw the ball deflect wide for a long corner and that effort summed up the determination that Boston were showing.

But they did score the next goal of the game after Boston were caught in possession.

Barlow scored his second of the game with a precise shot that nestled in the bottom left-hand corner after a great pass from Green.

Boston hit double figures after Stone completed his hat-trick after being set up by Barlow’s run and pass.

Boston now sit in fourth position and have already matched last season’s victory tally despite only having played nine games.

This weekend they travel to face Horncastle Seconds.