Boston Hockey Club suffer 6-2 defeat at St Ives

IT WAS a day to forget for Boston Firsts as they went down 6-2 at fellow strugglers St Ives.

Boston knew the clash was a must-win game for each side as they looked to get out of the relegation places.

But things started badly for the away side before they had even left town.

With four regulars unavailable, a number of second teamers were drafted in, causing the second string to have to scratch their game.

Captain Dean Newell moved into goal and, with Stuart Ashton being forced to pull out, they travelled with the bare minumum, actually starting with just 10.

Boston went a goal down early on as they struggled to get used to each other’s style of play.

However, the 10 men struck back within five minutes, following a fine move.

Ian Sanderson and Cameron Salisbury combined well in the middle, with the ball eventually being fired into the D where Connor Gilbert applied the necessary deflection and Boston were level.

However, St Ives regained the lead through a soft goal, catching Boston on the break.

The arrival of Andy Stone saw Boston back to 11 men, Stone even drawing his side level with a reverse-stick goal after Salisbury’s fine delivery.

On the stroke of half-time came the game’s turning point.

Gilbert was injured and unable to continue.

St Ives used their man advantage to score a further four times without reply after the break.

Boston, to be fair, did keep creating chances, but misses again proved to haunt them.

At 3-2 down Boston were still with a chance and they nearly grabbed another equaliser when both Stone and Callum Sims were denied with some great goalkeeping.

However, the killer fourth goal came with 10 minutes to go and then it was game over.

Boston kept going and Stone was inches away from grabbing his second goal of the game with an open goal beckoning, but as the game wore on, legs became tired and St Ives scored a further two times to give the scoreline a slightly flattering feel.

There were some positives though, with Ben Carr playing well in an unfamiliar left back role and Sims also putting in a good performance.

On Saturday, the Firsts travel to face City of Peterborough.

The Second will return to action with a game against Spalding at Surfleet.