Callum Johnson cruised to a comfortable points victory over Bulgarian Tzvetozar Iliev at Liverpool’s Echo Arena.
Victory meant the Boston boxer’s 100 per cent professional record remained firmly in tact, with the former Commonwealth Games gold medallist making it 13 straight victories on Friday.
However, the 29-year-old - who only returned to the UK from a trip to the States last week - was left frustrated that he couldn’t add to his eight stoppages.
“He was like a tough punchbag,” Johnson told The Standard.
“He didn’t threaten me, I always felt like I was in control.
“But I couldn’t stop him early, and I always like to try to finish it up as quickly as I can.
“I don’t know if it was tiredness catching up with me or what, but I never really got out of first gear.
“I don’t think I did anything wrong, but I didn’t fight as well as I can.”
Johnson was left with a cut above his eye during the fight, the first time in his career.
He added: “It’s another one to tick off, now I know what it’s like.
“It didn’t affect me in any way, I just got on with it to be honest.”
Johnson is scheduled to return to the ring on a show in Leeds on September 5, and he is hoping for a tougher test.
“I’m going away to Spain for a few days to have a bit of a rest, but then I’ll be back in the gym solid until the fight,” he said.
“Hopefully, I can start fighting a few bigger names.”